Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

iAMP 800 Anyone try One Yet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gmann, Mar 4, 2003.

1. gmann

gmann

Mar 1, 2001
    And if so what did ya think? I'm thinkin of gettin' one.

2. BTBbassist

BTBbassist join us for mankala hour!

Apr 20, 2002
    Westlake Village, CA
  3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I got mine a week ago and played my first gig on it tonight. It sounded great with tons of headroom, and it allowed me to play aloud gig with only a single 12" cabinet (a CXL112) where before I always had to take two. The amount of clean power this thing has is ridiculous...and that's for DB. For plank, it's going to sound HUGE.

4. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Gmann,

I hope you don't mind if I "piggyback" on your thread. I was just about to start a similar thread when I came across yours.

My question... is there anyone out there that tried an iAMP 800 with Eden 2-10XLTs? I'm thinking about buying a second head, but I'd like to keep my Edens. I know that amp head might sound great with one brand of cabinet and then sound crappy with another brand of cabinet.

Comments would be appreciated

5. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    I had one, played around for 2 hours with it and couldn't get a sound I was happy with and that made me think "what will it be like on a gig?". I hate getting on a stage and spending most of my time fighting with an amp. I owned a iAmp 350 for a while and seemed like that was all I did was fight with the EQ. So, I sold it. Have a buddy that has an iAmp800 also and every time I talk to him I ask him how he likes it and the best I can get out of him is "it's ok". That being said let me say that the guys at EA are committed to excellence as much as anyone in the business. No doubt the amp is well built and customer service is as good as it gets. Just so happens that the iAmps are just not my sound. You need to find an iAmp 800 or iAmp 350 to play through to see if it's for you. Good Luck!

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

My first thought when I got it was "it's Ok". At first, the sound of the iamp is so "hi-fi" that it's almost disconcerting. I also find the EQ kind of frustrating because any tiny move you make with it makes drastic changes in the sound. I've got mine racked up with an old tube mic pre which also includes a high pass filter and a parametric EQ. This warmed up the sound quite a bit, and gave me more control at the micro level, which was welcome. But I should also mention that my other first impression, that the same "hi-fi-ness" which made the sound almost too clean to bear in my studio at home would be a boon in helping the bass to cut through on a gig, was spot on. Everybody I asked about the bass sound at the gig last night (including a few regulars) said they could hear the bass better than ever before even though I was only using a single cabinet....in this particular (VERY noisy) room, that's saying something. :)

7. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003

Exactly my point about the EQ. Most gigs I do I show up in time to set up, do a quick sound check(in other words make sure my amp works), catch my breathe, and play. A very touchy EQ can be very frustrating in a middle of a gig.

Oh yeah Chris. never enough Walter Woods!!