iamp 800 head defects

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mcrelly, Sep 1, 2003.

1. No never, runs like a charm

8 vote(s)
  2. Once, its o.k. now.

4 vote(s)
  3. Twice, or more times.

0 vote(s)
  4. I returned my Iamp 800, tired of 'fixing' it.

5 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    iamp 800 head owners, have you had to return or bring in for service your iamp 800 head??
  2. Daytona

Apr 26, 2003
    McRelly, it seems like you have a serious axe to grind with EA. I don't think that posts like this are in the spirit of the Talk Bass forum.
  3. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    No, not really. I DO want to get rid of my fear that their products are overrated and unreliable.

I WANT TO LIKE E.A.!!! I like the features of the iamp 800 very much! I want one if it will be reliable, I've heard several people with problems. I want it to sound good which seems to be the case with all customers.

4. Daytona

Apr 26, 2003
    It's fine to express your opinions, however you have posted quite a few threads over the past week or so slamming their products. It sounds like you have an agenda.
  5. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    and what do you think that agenda might be?
  6. Daytona

Apr 26, 2003
    To disparage EA.
  7. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    NOPE. EA seems like a great company and John Dong was very gracious in handling my situation.

As it turns out their cabs are not the sound I'm looking for, but I would like to hear an iamp800 sometime to see if it will fit my tastes.
  8. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii

Let's see if I can help you get over you concern about EA gear being "over-rated and unreliable".

On the topic of reliability...
    Yes, I had a minor problem with my 800 head, but Gary at EA was extremely responsive in making sure that my problem was resolved ASAP. The head has operated flawlessly ever since. So, aside from an initial problem (which I may have helped cause), I consider the head very reliable. If I were to compare EA's customer service and "response time" to any other gear firm, EA would be rated above the majority of firms based on my experience. In short, a reliable head and great customer service. Yes, I've read about other players having a problem with their new 800 head, I believe this is a "first production run" anomaly. No different than what might have happened to the very first run Woods, Demeter, GK, Eden, SWR, amps. Once the initial production bugs are worked out, the amps are generally very reliable.

On the topic of over-rated...
    I can understand why someone might mistakenly think that EA gear is over-rated. There are certainly a lot of positive comments flying around on the sound quality of EA gear, but I wouldn't characterize them as over-rating EA gear. I hear just as many hyped-up comments on Walter Woods, GK, Mesa, SWR, Eden, AccuGroove, Ampeg, Bergantino, Epifani, etc., but I wouldn't say that any of these brands are over-rated. It's just that there are players out there that have a very high regard for a particular brand and want to tell the rest of us about it. While there are many people that are making positive comments about EA, I would not say that EA is over-rated.

This post is in no way intended as taking an argumentive position against your views. You said that you "want to like EA" in your second post. I'm just trying to help you get there. If you end up not liking EA, that's fine and I would respect that as your choice.
  9. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    My opinion: EVERY manufacturer is going to have a bad unit go out the door at some time or another. The key is how they handle the repair, whether its timely, courteous, and effective. THAT is the mark of the company that gets my repeated business.

Personally, I think EA has a reputation for outstanding customer support.
  10. When I'm in the market for new gear I search for as many comments as I can find. I expect to find good comments but I especially pay attention to the negative ones. Most of the time the negative comments are just personal preference and I understand that. Also some bad reviews are things that I can live with. Either way I want to hear both sides. Sometimes I wonder why some companies have such good customer service. Have they had so many problems that they are good at it? Sorta like a pro football team needing a good punter.
  11. I don't think that the quality of customer service is necessarily related to the number of problems that the company has had with its equipment.

I have been using EA for a while with no problems at all, and to boot, I am assured that if I ever have a problem, I have some of the best customer service standing behind the product.

12. I'm pretty sure that in EA's case, it's a matter of their commitment to being a complete, full-service company that cares about its customers.
  13. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Totally agree! I've used an iamp600 for several years and recently needed a repair on a very early one (I currently own two) and EA handled it quickly and almost amazingly cheaply. They're a first class outfit all the way in my book. And their amps, especially the 600 with which I'm the most familiar, are exceptionally clean sounding, versatile and reliable.
  14. arizonabass

Feb 6, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    "and what do you think that agenda might be?"

Examine your thread title. You just may not be conscious of your agenda, especially with your postings that include an almost-new EA cabinet for sale.

Back on topic - almost -- my iAMP350 runs flawlessly and sounds superb.

Howard Lester
  15. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Mine iamp800 is kicking butt every single time I turn it on. It's got enough power that I've never had the master up past "3" (and I play some loud gigs), and has been so consistent and reliable that I never give the possibility that something could go wrong a second thought.

Yes, it's a free country, but it does seem that there have been a rather inordinate number of threads which border on bashing gear around here. While I understand that gear reviews are a large part of what we all come here for, it would be nice if there was not a new thread every time there was a new negative impression of a piece of gear. Just my opinion.

For example, in addition to the thread we are all now reading, I found the following active threads by searching in the past two weeks alone:

A bit much? Who's to say? But it sure looks like a lot of threads to have come from the same source in such a short span of time. YMMV.
  16. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    You didn't post the positive ones. I guess I just get so excited positively or negatively and I feel I should share. to help people make decisions about the products I've had experience with.
  17. It would be helpful if people who returned their iAMP 800s would post what was wrong with them. It would be helpful to people who might be interested in getting one.

18. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I have one of the very first iAMP 800's. I got it soon after January NAMM show. It has run perfectly.

Consider also that it is played every day and gigged 3- 4 times a week. I have used it both live and in the studio. It has traveled well and reliability has not been an issue.

I also had the opportunity to play another iAMP800 at the Anaheim Bass Bash combined with 2 CXL-112's. The rig absolutely blew every other rig away. There is power and there is effortless power. The latter is what I feel from the iAMP 800.

Let me post a disclaimer here: I endorse EA products, I wrote the forward for the 800 maunal and wrote much of the new website.

That being said, (a) I pay for all my gear and (b) I would not endorse EA products, nor would thay let me if we both were not satisfied that it is some of the best gear out there.

Please allow me to rant and rave a bit more. The EA slogan is "Are You Ready?" (if you subscribe to the EA newsletter you'll soon find out how we came up with that idea). The reason we say this is because there is no "EA sound". When you play EA gear there is only your sound. There is no coloration to make you sound better than you already sound, there is no tweaking of the cabinet to cover over poor technique ... there is only you.

The question you must ask yourself is "are you ready to hear what you actually sound like?" For players who know the nuances of their instrument and their technique, there is nothing better than EA gear.

I understand, completely that some players need something more forgiving. I understand that some players need an amp and cabinet that allow them to grow into their technique or their instrument a bit. I understand that not all players are ready for EA gear. That is cool. What I don't understand is why people often look to blame the tools rather than look at their technique
  19. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    One more thing. I would like to address the creation of this thread and this pole. I just looked at the poll results and I know for a fact that it is not accurate. I happen to know what goes on. I know if and why things are returned. These numbers are just plain wrong.

But than any idiot can vote, they do not have to prove that they actually ever owned an iamp 800. The interesting thing is not a single person who voted for any of the 3 (3 out of 4) negative responses actually bothered to post .... hmmm

This pole is just irresponsible. It is akin to creating a pole entitled "Do you still beat your wife?" It is just meant to bait and breed negativity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.