Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

iAmp 800 Pros & Cons?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by berklee46, Feb 22, 2004.

1. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    I know there have been many threads on the iAmps and I've read almost all of them...
    If you were in market for a new amp today, would you buy the iAmp 800 again? Why or why not?

Thank you in advance,
    Scott

2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    It's bassically my entire former rack (save for the power conditioner) in a 19 lb., 2 RU package. Tonally, it is warm, yet accurate and is the most versatile (versatile tonally and with features) all-in-one dedicated head that I've played. It has ample volume for most applications and is capable of safely running a 2 ohm load. :cool:

3. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Service!
    Efficient, Loud, Accurate, Light weight. You will probably turn it down after realizing it was so clean that you're going deaf.
    Warm tubey (calm down everyone it's subjective) or I wouldn't own it.
    I have owned Marshall Superlead 100 Superbass 100 and Marshall Major, Hiwatt, SVT, Ampeg B25b, Acoustic 360, Sunn 2000s and 200s Kustom, Fender Showman, Polytone, and a Leslie 147(that's tube tone)and my preference has been SWR.
    Service!

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    if you're really hard up on those darn tubes, try getting an SIB FatDrive, and putting it thru the loop.

tried that with an iAMP500, and sounded pretty nice. but strangely, i liked the amp without the SIB. just seemed tighter and more focused. why mess with a good thing, eh?

btw, also tried a friend's Sansamp as well as a Fulltone BassDrive, and WOAH MOMMA!! thru my Acme 4x10, like a freakin' SVT on creatine. :cool:

5. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    The more I play it, the more I'm realizing that my Iamp 500 is the best amp I've ever owned. I haven't seen any real cons yet. If you are looking for a crunchy rock sound it may not be for you but you can flavor to taste w/pedals as Joker described above. The 800 is just more of a good thing. I say go for it!

6. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I didn't really care for the older iamps that much, but the 800 is pure magic. Tons of power, clear, but amazingly full and deep. Like Big Joe said, it's versatile enough for any situation - as long as clean, tight, and clear (not bright) is what you're looking for. As tight and clear as a demeter pre, but without the brightness.

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I've had mine only two weeks, and haven't had a chance to gig with it yet. But I'm loving it so far, I can't think of any downsides to it - unless, as Todd said, that sound just isn't for you.

8. pedroferreira

pedroferreira

Feb 10, 2003
    Portugal
    cons: No Ground lift option for the DI output

9. PBass

PBass

Nov 8, 2000
    Euphonic Audio
    Per the request of our players the ground is permanently lifted.

Larry Ullman EA

10. i wish they'd make the power section of that head as a mono power amp, sort of like what they do with the iAmp 200 power amp in the whizzy 200 powered cabinet.

from all the raves (and boasts) i've heard about this amp, i'd love to try the head, but i would probably buy the power amp sight unseen! i need a lightweight, good-sounding mono amp that can do 500W into 8 Ohms.

robb.

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I love my iAMP 800. I must admit that it took me a while to get the hang of using the EQ, but it was a minor hurdle, and now I cannot really see how I can do better for the size/weight/price. I especially like the fact that it is stable down to 2 ohm. There are many occassions where I prefer to use 3-4 smaller cabs, and not having to worry about impedance problems is a nice thing. Plus, the customer support at EA is second to none.

Tom.

12. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Ditto to what TROUTTT and BOWLUSFORTOMBINE posted. The iamp is the best amp I've ever owned, bar none. Tonight at the University, the Ahmad Jamal trio is performing, and Jim Commack (bassist for the trio) almost did a little dance when he saw that the rig I was loaning him consisted of the iamp 800 and a Bergantino HT112, saying, "man, this turned out a LOT better than I expected!". So I guess you could add his voice to the "positive review" side. :)

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yea, if anything, starting to realize its like "tonal velcro". throw whatever at it, and it'll sound great. even tho i wasnt quite digging the SIB in the loop, my bud thought i was on crack. *shrug*

hehe, i'd do a little dance, too. :D

14. reddavid

reddavid

Oct 11, 2001
    Wayne, PA
    Hey Scott,

Not wanting to hijack your thread....

But on a related theme - what are the pros & cons of the iAmp 800 vs. the iAmp 800 Combo - if most of the time you're only going to use a single speaker/cab anyway?

Thoughts?

thanks,

red

15. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Con - not being able to use the 800 with other speaker cabs.

although, I hear you can remove the amp pretty easily...

16. reddavid

reddavid

Oct 11, 2001
    Wayne, PA
    Ah, just spotted the related thread on amp vs. combo.

anyway, Vanselus, wouldn't the combo speaker only take one of the outputs on the iAmp - and couldn't you pretty easily hook up an additional or other cab to the iAmp in the combo? (either as a second cab, and/or disconnect the 112)

also, curious as to whether you can remove the iAmp from the combo and use standalone? anyone?

thanks

17. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I bought one with my iamp 800 and I have to tell you what a combination!
    My guitar player said hey it's coaxial so you can get like cable on it and I said watch and listen, dropped into a Marcus/Jaco/Stanley/Victor/Bruce/Manring/Alphonso/Burteil/Entwistle/McBee/ Hellborg/Redding/Rocco/Jamerson thing and the Sopranos comes on like a week before the new season starts!

18. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Con: weight
    Pro: one less trip

19. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    the 800 combo has integrated wheels (roller blade type) and a removable, extending handle for easy wheeling around

Mike

20. reddavid

reddavid

Oct 11, 2001
    Wayne, PA
    Mike - that's cool about the wheels and handle. I went with the iAmp 800 (not combo) for cab flexibility. Now for a rack case - does the SKB effects (shallow) case you use require you unplug power and speakon cables to close back lid?

awaiting iAmp goodness...

red