Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

IAmp 800 questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wilbyman, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I'm thinking about forking over for one of these.

How do the Clarus users like it? Is the EQ more effective for electric bass, etc? I like the Clarus EQ, but its doesn't give up alot of clear highs for electric. Does it have an equally good sound for upright?

Have the tuner models been discontinued, or do they still offer that?

Is there any major reason to get the IAmp 800 over the 500 besides power? I'll probably be running it down at 4 and 2 ohms, so I think I'll have enough juice out of it.

Anybody had any trouble with them, quality wise? I've heard they're pretty reliable.

Oop, lastly, where's the place to score a good deal on one via the net? Clubbass.ca has one for 900.00 on closeout, but I'm wary about the menacing "all sales final" disclaimer on their ads and my lack of possible jurisdiction over them in Canada. Hey, I'm a lawyer.

Thanks everybody!

2. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Hey Wilbyman,

I noticed this ad as well. Strange indeed, as Dave was one of the first EA dealers, and I have bought a ton of EA gear from him. I wouldn't worry too much about the warranty being honoured, Euphonic has STUNNING customer service. Being in the states, you would probably be dealing directly with them in NJ anyway.

. . .Just wish I could grab one myself, but at least I have my iAmp 600.

LM

3. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    L. Mollerup...

I have checked out your site in the past, and if you're using one then I will take notice! You seem to do what I do, but probably about a thousand times better (i.e., doubling). Plus, you bear a slight resemblance to John Malkovich, which I think is quite cool.

Have you checked out the Clarus? Any comparison to the IAmp 800/500? My only concern is that I hear they don't get much top end snap, which isn't a big deal...but if its like the Clarus, its kind hard to dial in some gloss on my electric.

Will

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I have and enjoy both the Clarus and the iamp800, and they're both great amps - but they're entirely different animals. The Clarus is your basic "poor man's Woods" amp that fits in your pocket and will power most gigs. It's not as "hi-fi" as the iamp to my ears, but it's plenty clean for its size. The Clarus EQ isn't much, but it does the job. The iamp EQ, on the other hand, can do just about anything you want, so much so that it's a pain in the @$$ when you get it because there's so much to learn and because it's very "sensitive" - a little goes a long way. In my opinion the iamp is the superior amp by a long shot, but at 4 times the size and weight and more than twice the price, it ought to be. I take the Clarus when I don't want to drag a "rig" to the gig, but would rather take a small "amp". :)

I think they may have discontinued the tuner, but I've always felt tuners are pretty jive for jazz gigs anyway - unless the piano player uses one, of course.

No idea. I play some pretty damn loud gigs, and have never had the master on the 800 up above "3", if that's any indication.

Nope, not a peep. But I have had an EA cabinet serviced before, and they take care of business when it comes to CS, including drop-shipping. No issues there. I say, go for it!

5. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Thanks, that's good stuff. Yeah, I'd just as soon not have the tuner for my purposes...specially cause I play with alot of skeezy jazzbox guitar players who don't stay in tune for more than one chorus anyway :)

I think I like the size of the 500 a little more...has anybody noticed a big difference in the power of the two?

Chris, is one input balanced for piezos?

Will

6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    According to the iAMP 500 manual (which is online by the way):

Note I am not Chris (at least not today :p ) and I don't have any piezo pickups to test it with.

7. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I use an iAmp 500 in a fairly loud pop/rock band with a hard hitting drummer, a loud guitarist playing through a 50 watt combo amp and a keyboardist. I have enough power when using an EA wizzy 1x12 in small to medium clubs. The master usually gets up in the 5-6 area. Sounds great for upright too.

I really like the size of the 500. I found a nice shoulder bag for it and it is very portable. The 800, while only a little bigger and heavier, seems to me to be just big enough to be not very shoulder bag friendly. I think it would be doable but would be banging around and getting in the way. I'm lugging my gear in and out of my small apartment, on subways etc. regularly so I need portablity.

8. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Wilby,

Thanks for the compliments -I'm sure I'm not worthy! :)

I use my iAmp 600 all the time with my Bass Max or Realist, and it works fine. I have a Raven Labs MDB-1, but I find I don't really need the buffer preamp with my iAmp. I had a W Woods, and sold it, as I found the sound was a bit brittle compared to the EA amp. (Hard for many to believe, but I had to trust my ears. I do miss WW's portability from time to time). Good luck with the new gear!
    LM

9. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Wilby,

I'm not an upright player, nor have a tried a Clarus, so I can't make provide any comments on those topics.

I've owned my 800 for over a year now and have no complaints. The EQ section does take a little getting used to. A search of iAMP 800 threads in this forum will disclose the nuances regarding the amp's EQ and tone, I won't bother to repost what's been covered. It's essentially a very flat/neutral sounding amp with an EQ section that provides a wide range as a tonal palate. It is quite a bit to carry around when compared to the 500. If you don't need the extra power and the built-in tuner, go for the 500.

As for dealers, you can try Glenn at Austion Bass Traders where I bought mine. There are a few others out there who will be glad to give you a competitive price quote. Happy Hunting!

10. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    Wilby
    How is that LDS 2x8 working for you now that you've had some gigging time with it?

11. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Thanks for your posts. It helps alot. I've been through the old posts and I'm still kind of on the fence about the IAmp...I'm also strongly considering a pre/power setup.

The 2x8 is great, still digging it. I have only been playing upright gigs with my quartet lately and it has been great for that, though I've switched to an Underwood PU because the Clarus + 2x8 + Realist setup was too thumpy for some applications. I really need to post again after I get my second one, and get a chance to crank it with my Smith.

I understand Don has been selling a bunch of them, and is sending a review cab to bassplayer.

Will

12. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    Yeah, he sold one to me. It's due here next Mon. Glad it's still working for you, although I also have the Realist/Clarus combination so I'm curious to see if I have same "thumpiness" issue.

13. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Dude.....you're a lawyer? Just buy a Woods!!!!! It will be the last amp you'll ever need for electric or acoustic!
    Corey

14. I'm not a lawyer or an URB man, just a geek for a big Oil Co. (boooo-ugo)
    I love my WWU. Never tried the EA stuff.

15. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Another vote for the iamp800. The only advantage Clarus has over the EA is size and weight. But at 19lb. the iamp800 is never a problem to lug around. And for the extra size and weight you get so much more flexibility. I'm an upright and electric doubler but I have been so impressed by my EA gear (including the CXL112 cabs) that it as become the core of my tone on both instruments. Upright sounds like upright and electric sounds clear, crisp and deep. Lots of power, if needed, and tons of EQ possibilities.

16. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I've owned both the 800 and the 500. Both are amazing amps. Both have plenty of volume and headroom. Soniically, there is no real difference. The only difference is the power. I kept the 500 and sold the 800 for only one reason - 6 pounds. Sounds kind of silly when you think about it. I should have kept them both :D

Mike

17. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    You can hear both the Clarus and the iAMP 800 at www.basstasters.com

I play both very regularly, and here's my summary:

Clarus:
    Punchy, warm in that slightly gritty way, very natural sounding, open and woody, not as deep or bright as most amps. Sounds exceptional with upright.

iAMP 800:
    Very full-range, thick thick thick, incredibly flexible, tons of headroom, smooth and deep. Very tasty version of flat sound, but much warmer, darker, and bassier than you'd expect (without losing any clarity and tightness).

18. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I'd just like to add that EA customer service is among the best I've ever experienced. I owned two iamp600's at one time and still have one that gets used quite regularly, despite my overall preference for the WWUltra. Nonetheless, I'm seriously considering picking up an 800.

And one more thing: the combination of an EA cab and an EA amp (I have the killer 310) is an experience that every bassist should have! :cool: To call it clean and full-range is entirely accurate. I recently played a gig with the 600/310 and an NS EUB and the tone was amazing. I can imagine what it would sound like with a DB and a really good pickup. :eek:

19. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Yeah, I'm a lawyer...but I've been gigging so much recently I feel like more of a bassist, which is really the way it should be!

If I paid $2000-2500 for an amp, no matter what the name, my wife would eat my eyeballs. End of story. If I was a young single lawyer, make no mistake...I'd have a a Woods, a Fodera and would be making payments on a A. Prescott URB.
    :hyper:

Thanks for the input everybody. I think I really need to hold off to hear one. I like my Clarus alot, and its been a real soldier for me. I need to know that I'll prefer it to that and my SWR head, which suits the electric much better than anything Class D that I've heard. From the descriptions, the IAmp may be little dark and thick for my tastes.

Will

20. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I woould totally disagree with that. The iamp is so clean and pure and the eq is so versatile that any sound is possible. When flat, it is like a blank canvas waiting for paint.

Check out Bob Golihur's return policy. There is also a dealer in Bryn Mawr, PA (Medley Music) if you are concened about club bass' "all sales final" statement .. or if you are ever traveling through upstate NY, you are more than welcome to play mine for a bit

Mike