Iamp 800 questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JoeDaddio, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Alright, I know I thought I was sold on the 400+, but just when I think I've made up my mind, something else peaks my interest, and I feel I should check it out before I commit and drop the cash.

I've read through a few threads on the IAMP 800, and I've come up with a few questions. I haven't been able to play one yet, but I figure that living in Southern California I should be able to find one around here without too much hassle.

Now, from the threads that I have read Most people seemed to believe that the Iamp 800 seems to sound good with certian cabinets. I have a SWR Goliath III (8 ohm), and I don't remember hearing that mentioned. So if anyone has an opinion on the sound I'd get with that combo, please memme know.

Also, there seem to be some complaints about the Iamp's ability to cut through the mix, although a few people pointed out that it was mostly in the higher register. Generally I am a more groove oriented player, and I don't get past the 12th fret too often. I never really plan on going beyond 5 strings either. Does the low end have any problem making itself known?

Something else that semed to be of concern in the threads I read were the voicing (right term?) of the Iamp, or rather, the lack thereof. I don't know if I've made up my mind if this is a good thing or not. I'm looking for warmth and presence. SOmething that you can feel rumble in your belly that nearly makes you want to hurl. I'm not so much a fan of grit though.

If it helps, I play a G&L ASAT, and I still haven't found an effect that I like. Thanks for the input guys, you've all bee really helpfull this far. Its coming down to the wire, and I really appreciate everything. You guys are awesome :cool:

2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I found that it sounded best with the EQ turned all the way off in the end and that's how I ended up using it for the most part. The EQ is very powerful, but for the life of me I couldn't get higher-mid presence that sounded "natural." It is warm but it as clean as clean gets with a very tight and defined low end. Those uppers which are going to detail you in a mix will be somewhat lost.

Will your Goliath work well? I'd say probably not given that they have a somewhat scooped sound.

I liked the way that my 800 sounded through an Epifani Ultralight because of the more pronounced mids/upper mids. It sounded deep and fat through my NYC-310, but I had to really crank my onboard EQ to get some of that higher up definition for more cut. I'd recommend a brighter cab to kind of even it out a bit... The new EA CXL-112L comes to mind because of it's 1K-2K bump.

In the end, I sold it to go back to a rack pre- and power amp set up which I tried to get away from in the first place. If you want an aggressive or growly tone at all, I'd look elsewhere unless you want to get into pedals to spice it up a bit which, IMO gets away from what the iamp is all about.

The best things about it, are the fact that it's a useable 1KW amp that can do 2 Ohms without getting hot or noisy and it weighs only 19 lbs, and those are things you could never say about the Mesa 400.
  3. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    imo, the 400+ is gonna give you a lot more of the rumble you speak of.
  4. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Joe, I'm not sure where you are in Orange County but you can come to Whittier this Saturday night (the 15th) and hear my blues/rock band, The Funky Blue Monkeys at the Ron-dee-vu on Telegraph Road. I'm using an iAmp 800 and an Accugroove Whappo Jr. You can judge for yourself if the sound I'm getting is something you'd be interested in.
  5. BoogieBass... I searched for Ron-dee-vu in Whittier on Google and I didn't come up with anything. I live in Anaheim, so Whittier isn't too far. What time is the show, and what's the price? I work graveyard shift starting at 11pm, but if it's earlier in the night I'll be able to make it.

Thanks for the info, Joe. I appreciate it. Do you (or does anyone) know of any amps with a similar power rating, in a similar price range, that would give me a bit more bang than the EA? I like the idea of 500 ss watts at 8 ohms, because it will probably be a while till I'm abelt to get another cab.

Thanks again. And if anyone else has any opinions, suggestions, lemme know. I get my student loan check in about 3 weeks, and that cash just can't seem to stcik around too long before it statrs burning holes in my pockets ;)

6. `ash

Feb 26, 2004
    I love my iAmp800. One of the main things i love, is its versatility. I constantly changing my mind on what sound i want, and no matter what i decide on, I can get it out of the Iamp. It has a very good EQ section, that includes, 4 preset tone shapes, and a section for +-15 adjustments in the Lo, lo-mid, hi-mid and hi areas, each with frequency sliders. Or you can bypass that entirely and have only the sound of your bass.
    With my Sting Sig i like a fat, round sound, with the tone knob rolled all the way back and a bit of lo-mid cut and hid-mid boost.
    If i use my jazz bass i can get a bright defined tone, similar to an active bass.
    Even if you are fussy with your tone, you'll be suprised the iAmp. Take your time with the Eq section because moving one of the sliders and cuting or boosting can change things dramatically.
    Is weight a concern you?
  7. Weight isn't much of a concern. As it is right now I haul around a SWR Workingmans 15'' and a Goliath III, so even the 400+ which I am considering would be a step up weight and size wise.

And thanks for the info. Ther doesn't seem to be much middle ground with this amp. People seem to either love it or hate it. All sides welcome. The more input, the better! Thanks again,

8. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Ron De Voo

Saturday, January 15, 2005

9:00 p.m. – 1:30 a.m.

$5.00 cover at the door starting at 9:00 p.m.

14304 Telegraph Road, Whittier

Between Valley View & Leffingwell

This place is 21 & over, must have a valid I.D.
  9. Maybe I can get the night off from work. I could use a night out. I'm 23, so no worries about age. If I can get off, I'll be there!

10. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    my 800 cuts thru just fine, and GASP, i'm using an Acme cab! ;)

but seriously, it all depends on your rig, bass, style, etc. for myself, the iAMP's like a swiss army knife. also, with your SWR cab, i'm sure you'll have NO shortage of high end.

yet, as you can see, YMMV.
  11. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Cool, Joe. If you do make it, be sure to come up and introduce yourself. :cool:
  12. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I can't even imagine an iamp800 being the reason any rig would not cut through the mix. I use mine with 1 or 2 EA CXL112s and cutting through in any situation is not even the remotest of problems.
  13. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I usually take my iAMP800 and Bergantino HT210 or HT 115 depending on which one I pick up first. Some have said the iAMP and Bergie is not the best combo but I get compliments constantly regardless of if I am playing my Sad Metro V or my NS Designs EUB. I can switch between the basses using a Raven Labs MDB1 with all the setting on iAMP flat. At first I was a little uncertain if I had made the right decision but I am very happy with the sound I have now. I went to a blues jam the other night. They usually use my amp but had something else instead. I could not believe how hard it was do dial out the mids and highs to get a warm tone on both my basses compared to running my rig. I also missed the pant leg flapping lows produced by the Bergies. That said I am looking forward to trying a Sadowsky amp when they come out.
  14. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Unfortunately many players mistake "cutting through" for distortion. the iamp will have no problem cutting, what it will not do is provide that distortion that is often mistaken for volume or cutting thriough.

Distortion is usually in the more accute range of hearing, therefore it is percieved as louder.

15. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    DaveB, as I said before, the iamp and the CXL are a match made in heaven... The amp is deep, the cab is bright yet takes EQ very well.

Back to the amp... I found that it filled up the bottom more than it cut through with most cabs. It was a very polite-sounding amp. Mike is right there was no distortion to be heard from it as long as you have a good AC source... Then again, there is no distortion (unless you want to get super-technical and get into how any tube added to a signal adds some inherent distortion by detracting from the original signal) to be heard from any amp/preamp set-up I've played save for when I would purposely overdrive my former SVP-Pro or RBI pre's. ;)
  16. farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    If a little distortion in sound is louder in a percieved range of hearing, then that's what part of "cutting through" is. Cutting through a mix is not just turning up a full range of clean freqs.

I fully agree that an EQ master can get an IAMP to "cut through", but if another amp/cab does that with distortion or colored sound, so be it.
  17. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Absolutely! if that's what you want