Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

iamp 800 rack size

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aaron J, Sep 3, 2003.

1. Aaron J

Aaron J

Jul 16, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    Hello all, this is my first post on TB, but I have been a lurker for years...glad I could finally think of something to talk about :) Anyway, I have an iamp 800 (which I absolutely LOVE) and I want to know if anyone has had any problems with a 2 space rack. The manual recommends a 3 space for ventilation, but I don't think I'll have a problem with the 2 space SKB, because it seems to be roomy enough. The next step up...the 4 space...is just HUGE. Thanks.

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I have an in-between solution you may want to consider. I grabbed up a Grundorf 3 space wood rack for my own iAMP 800 and turned some people to whom I sold 800's on to them as well.

The amp is not that deep, but it is just slightly too deep for the SKB effects racks (you'd have to remove cables to stow it), and the regular depth rack seems ridiculous with all the excess space. I found this nice and lightweight Grundorf as a 3 space unit that is just deep enough for the iAMP, and it is only about 16x7x20 inches, and that's with the front cap in place, as it sits ready for transport to rehearsal tonight. Here's mine:

[​IMG]

3. Aaron J

Aaron J

Jul 16, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    Thanks for the reply Bob. I think I want to stay away from a wood rack...my experience with those things is that they are just too heavy. I am not worried about the depth so much, but I am worried about the unit overheating from lack of ventilation on the sides and bottom since there is no fan. But, since I am peering right now into the huge belly of the 4 space SKB, somehow I bet that the 2 space will still have enough clearance on the sides...I hope.

4. I have a 3-space rack bag for mine but when I racked it the thing was wider than the cabinets :(

I like it just fine unracked and I'm pretty careful with my gear.

5. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Glad you love the 800. Since I wrote the manual, I can say that the designers strongly urged me to put in a 3 space rack for ventilation purposes. I use an 3U Shallow X Roto Rack from SKB. It cost me about $50.00 US. It is lightweight, inexpensive and protects well. Here is the website, check out the bottom of the page:

http://www.casesbyskb.com/Rack-case.htm

Mike

6. Aaron J

Aaron J

Jul 16, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    Thanks for the replies...I think I'm going to go with the SKB that Mike recommended. Thanks again for all the help. :)

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Has anyone found a gig bag that works well with the iAMP 800? I e-mailed JD, and he told me that EA doesn't make one. I have a Walkabout (which I really like, but which I sometimes wish had more power so I could leave my big rack at home!), and I really like the fact that I can carry it in a shoulder bag, then place just the head on top of my cabs. I guess since I am looking at a head as a "rack alternative", and I already have a rack rig, I'd like to steer away from the rack look. Plus, some of my cabs (like VL-208) I think look a bit funny with a rack on top overhanging on the edges.

Tom.