1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

iAMP 800 vs AG500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassyVick, Dec 17, 2006.

1. BassyVick

BassyVick Banned

Jul 3, 2005
    Canton, OH
    just looking at reflections on comparisons of an iAMP 800

or an agular AG500

I belive an amp should do no more than amplify the instrument at hand and that should be the parimeters of the amplifier, not any coloration or there idea of what an amplification company says you should sound like :rolleyes:

but tone controls are a nice option which should be left up to the user to adjust to suit there own tastes or room balance

I treat every instrument that physical makes a sound wave like an acoustic instrument e.g. electric bass is just not chambered
    and that way the sound of my bass is contained in the instrument wheather or not its passive or active you should have your own basic sound before your signal chain

having said that from experience with this amp which amp has a more flat and transparent sound? the iAMP 800 or the AG500?
    and feel free to share gig experices with these amps and if anybody has experiences with other flat sounding amps feel free to share about those

that is just my prefrence on how i like my sound

probably from playing upright too haha, does anybody else have this philosophy?

all right i'll shut up now haha

2. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    After 2 years of ownership I would say the iAMP is capable of each, your flat and your character added sound. It's headroom is huge. It's volume is quite linear. It gets louder as you turn it up. No big leap from 1-3 then nothing then maxed at 7. So if you want the iAMP louder you turn it up. It's honest in this way. It exposes your playing technique and brings out the best in your sound. You can dial anything in with the eq. Yet Mike Dimin asked EA to make the 800 without any tone controls. It sounds that good just plugged in. The Ag I can't speak about as I have not owned one, only heard. It had it's own sound and may or may not be a neutral palette. The EA is. IMHO repeat IMHO repeat IMHO etc..........

3. Last year I borrowed an AG 500 for several gigs. I thought it was a superb amp and at least as colored as my Ashdown and more than my Genz Benz GBE 600. If you want neutral I would think the iAmp would be the way to go, or maybe an Accoustic Image Focus.

4. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I've never played the EA, but I used to own the Aguilar. While I wouldn't say that the coloration is so severe that I could pick the tone out in a double blind listening test, it's definitely does have some color to it. The color is nice though, and far less constraining than (for instance) old solid state Trace Elliot gear. I don't think you need to worry about being forced to sound like Aguilar wants you to sound if you were to go with it.

There are countless threads on here comparing the two amps and it seems like the comparison is always that the EA is more sterile/pristine/neutral/brittle/tight/uncolored while the Aguilar is always more warm/furry/tubey/dark/spongy. Your best bet is to pick one and buy it off of the classifieds and flip it to buy the other if it's not what you had in mind. Both of these heads traditionally sell quickly.

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I own both, and IME/IMHO, the iAMP is definitely the less colored of the two.

Tom.

6. Less color- iAmp

Better sounding-AG500

IMO, having owned both

7. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    I have the EA iamp800. After playing tube amps like EDEN, I wish I had replaced the eden with another eden. It got destroyed. Thought I would change and try something else as i had the eden since 95 or 96. I should had stayed with it. The iAMP will not sound warm. Tube amps do that. I never tried a thunderfunk or an Aguilar 500. But I miss the tube sound. I know there are digital amps that claim warmthness but i never heard one.

8. Michael Vee

Michael Vee Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Or an Eden WT-330 or WT-405 with the famed "Active/Passive/Accoustic" typo. :)

9. There is a floor demo iAmp800 for sale at Bass Northwest for a very good price... looks to be in 'like new shape'. FYI:)

I would agree with most of the above comments that the iAmp has what many call a 'less colored' tone versus the Ag500.