Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

iAMP 800 Vs. DB750

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thehurlatron, Mar 17, 2006.

1. I know these are two totally different monsters, but I'm looking for input on the iamp800.

I'm currently using a DB750 powering a EA VL-210 and a cxl112. I'm wondering if the iamp800 will have as much power and presence as the db750 does. I get skepitcal about big power in little packages. Does this thing really put out 1000watts at 2 ohms? And 800@4?

Also, I know this amp is stated to be clear and precise, but can it get thick and full with a big bottom? I know it's not going to produce the tubey warmth of the DB750, but is it suited for all kinds of music? I play rock, funk, reggae/ska and sometimes a bit of jazz and blues. I play a warwick streamer STII 5'er and a Lakland 55-94.

2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I played through one for a very short time with my stage II, and can tell you YES it can get loud and YES it can get fat. :D I've never tried a db750 so I can't compare on that level ... but don't doubt that the iAmp kicks.

IMO with a streamer you don't need a lot of help from the head to sound fat.

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    The I amp 800 is plenty powerful, but I seriously doubt it gets as loud as the DB750. Of course, how many of us need THAT extreme volume? I know I don't. The Iamp 800 is PLENTY loud for real world applications.

It is capable of HUGE bottom if you dial it in that way, especially using EA cabs like you are. It is capable of pushing more low end than you'll ever realistically need in a band setting.

The Iamp 800 is crystal clear, and really very versatile. Probably about the only sound it won't do is the thick tubey DB750 sound, but then again, the DB750 can't do the crystal clear sound the Iamp does.

I'd say two incredibly awesome amps, and pick which one suits your taste better.

4. Here's an excerpt from the EA iAmp 800 manual.

"For a long time it has been mistaken that a solid state amp could not have that big, warm tube sound. The flexibility of the iAMP design allows that and many other sounds. Try this setting to get that fat tube amp sound.

SETTINGS:
    Lo: +12dB @ 180Hz
    Lo-Mid: +5dB@640Hz (1/2 octave Q)
    Hi-Mid: N/A
    Hi: –12dB@4kHz
    Deep Preset Engaged"

5. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Tonally two completely different critters. IME, while the iamp800 will get loud, and you can dial in a thicker tone, it won't have "as much power and presence as the db750 does." The db750 won't do clean/flat like the iamp though.

To qualify the above statement. I used to own an iamp that I ran through a cxl-112/nl-210, but, while I have gigged with them as a backline a few times, I've never owned a db750. I have also never used a db750 through EA cabs so that further colors my thoughts.

6. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Having owned the Iamp and played another (and owned the DB659 and DB680), I have a good feel for what both sound like. That said...

They are different...very different in character. The Iamp can get warmer and thicker, but it's so quick, that you can definitely still tell it's a solid state amp. When I played the DB750, it was loud. I imagine it's louder than the Iamp800(still loud, but not DB750 loud).
    The power section on the DB750, reminds me of a CA-9. Just flat out ballsy sounding that'll knock you on your butt.

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 with what the Cheeze-Man says. :D

8. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I have not tried both of these amps out warrant a response between the two...

But here I as quote Jorg sent me via email on his experiences with the IAMP 800 and the DB750 through his cabs. Especially so in relation to percieved volume between the two amps.

Hope this helps.

9. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Well, I actually feel that the iAMP 800 is not underpowered, but I do know that the input protection circuitry on most "stock" units is set to be too aggressive, IME/IMHO. The nice thing is that Gary will tweak this for you for little or no charge. I know that I was able to drive the input stage much harder after this mod, and my end result was a ton more volume and headroom.

I, for one, do not doubt EA's quoted figures.

Tom.

10. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I'd say Jorg's cabs are voiced to mate with an Aggie much better than they would be with an EA Iamp. I believe the Aggie is louder through his cabs, but TWICE as loud? Allow me to be the first to throw the BS flag.

[​IMG]

11. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I get an impressions from reading this post and others that not all iAMP 800's are the same, a mod like this makes sense, and could be the cause for differing views on the output of these amps. Gain levels are really important in the percieved volume of any amp.

12. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    The iAmp 800 is louder @ 2 ohms than say an Eden 800 @ 4 ohms. I've never compared a DB750 with the iAmp 800, but I have played the DB750 and it's a pretty loud amp, maybe one of the loudest.

I think the issue comes down to a clarity and size issue. It's tough to be the iAmp 800 for it's power, clarity, and very small and light package. The Aggie is a tank, so if transportaion and weight are a concern, I wouldn't think twice about looking at the iAmp 800 at all.

13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Yes, I have to add that the DB 750 is an amazingly loud amp. It seems louder than its rated wattage, for sure. Very nice amp, too. :)

14. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I believe that it literally isn't twice as loud either, but looking back I should have gave that quote a bit more context. Judging from the point/ message of the whole email, I think he was using over-exaggerated terms to say that the DB750 pairs better volume wise to the Schroeder and might be a better match than the iAMP for those particular cabinets since they seen to compliment each other better...

Perhaps, it wasn't a fair quote in relation to this thread and as its context was more limited to a slightly different question/ situation.

I will second that this comparison seems like the two amps are pretty different than eachother in design and sound. I find it ineteresting to read people's take on these two amps.

Continue on...

15. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    True enough, but I tend to trust EA more than most.

Tom.

16. +1

My comment or quote was only relating to my personal experience I've had with the Iamp 800 I've owned; it was the first line with the integrated tuner. That unit definitely lacked the appropriate or indicated power. I've tested this amp through various cabinet brands and models, including CXL112s NL210, Mesa Boogie cabinets, etc., and my DB750 was almost twice as loud. I was informed that this "power" problem was fixed on the newer models. Nevertheless either unit is an excellent choice but they also are 2 different animals.

17. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Having owned/gigged the 750 for about a year and a half and the iAMP for about 6 months on the same loud gig I can say that the iAMP is not going to be nearly as loud. I ran the iAMP at about 1 o'clock sometimes about 1:30 on master and gain controls through an Epifani 112 and AccuGroove Tri210L - so 4 ohms total. The 750 I ran through a Tri112L and the Epi 12, and then right before I sold it through the same 210/112 combo. I never had the gain on the 750 above 10:30 and the master above 11:30. With the iAMP there it was loud enough and perhaps could've been a bit louder from time to time. If I had turned the 750 up any louder people would've been bleeding from their ears. It is a VERY loud amp, but always sounds thick, together, and tight. The iAMP will get plenty thick and can also do the crystal clear thing as well. But in my opinion, it'll never do the tubey thing the way the 750 does.

18. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    Having owned both heads... +2

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OK, but is it louder than a WT-800B at 2 ohms?

Otherwise, I don't know a thing about the iAmp.

20. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I can't tell you for certain being that I've never played an WT-800B through my rig to compare, but yes, the iAmp 800 @ 2 ohms is louder than the standard WT-800 @ 4 ohms.