iamp 800

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassicrunner, Nov 19, 2002.

1. bassicrunner

Sep 23, 2001
    Is the iamp 800 out?!? I can't figure it out.
  2. It has been delayed until early December, from the last delay, which was early November. There have been a lot of delays, so many, that I don't have any idea what the source of the delay could be.

Anyway, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for this one.

3. bassicrunner

Sep 23, 2001
    What are some other amps that are in the same category with power and great sound? Is the Eden wt-800 also good. I know its a warmer sound, but is it as powerful? Could it handle 2 EA CXL 112's?
  4. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    UGH, IMHO NO. Why would you want to dilute the beauty of EA with an Eden head?

(flame shield up)

Seriously though, Eden amps do much better with more efficient cabs. If you like the EA 112's, you'd be doing yourself a favor getting an EA or clean pre/power combination.
  5. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    I'd rate the CXL112 as a pretty darn efficient cab, if the spec is true (103dB). A pair would give maybe 106dB.

No comment on the Eden tone however. :) (mostly for lack of experience)
  6. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    Yes, I think you're thinking of the OLD Euphonic Audio cabs if you say they're inefficient.
  7. abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    Yeah the Cxl 112s are actually one of the most efficient out there (103db).
  8. EAGary

EAGary Registered User

May 27, 2002
    The iAmp800 is due to be shipped right after the new year. The west coast port shutdown has hurt everyone.

Also, the CXL112 cabinet indeed has a 103dB efficiency which is about the best you can get with a cone driver in a transmission line box. And yes, the earlier EA cabinets from the VL series are less efficient than the newer designs. As a benchmark, each 3dB of efficiency increase is equal to a doubling of the watts delivered to the cabinet. So, putting 250 watts into the CXL112 is equal to putting 500 watts into a cabinet that is 100dB efficient. Bottom line, you won't find a louder cabinet than the CXL112, at least to my knowledge to date. Check the efficiency on your cabinet.

Gary Gibilisco
    Euphonic Audio, Inc.
  9. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    How does the performance of the new lighter weight cxl-112 compare to the older heavier one?
  10. EAGary

EAGary Registered User

May 27, 2002
    The CXL112 Lite has a very subtle tonal difference in the midrange, nothing you would hear from gig to gig. But, the weight difference makes it a joy to transport. And, it's as loud as you can get from a single 12. It will cover all but the largest rooms.

Gary Gibilisco
    Euphonic Audio, Inc.
  11. Bass-only

Bass-only Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2001
    I can vouch for the LOUDNESS of the CXL112 cabs. I have two of them.

I am using a 250-watt Trace head and with only one cab (at only 8 ohms), I can get very loud (and clean!) Using 2 cabs is incredible!

You think you've got a bunch of low end with one cab?...try 2 cabs and hear (and feel) the difference.

It seems that the vast majority of people that have had the chance to play through a CXL112, are impressed with the tone and output.
  12. AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    EAGary…why has the west coast port shutdown become a problem for the 800 release?
  13. EAGary

EAGary Registered User

May 27, 2002
    China supplies a great deal of the electronic parts for our US electronics industries. Many of the shipments come through the west coast ports and then filter their way throughout the country to the distributors. I needed some of these parts to manufacture the iAmp800, hence the delay.

Gary Gibilisco
    Euphonic Audio, Inc.
  14. AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    Thanks Gary

Another question...I have a new light cxl-112 on the way. I was told it was drop shipped Monday and hoping it will be on my door step tomorrow and be in action for Fridays gig. In your opinion what EA amp is best suited to power 2 cxl-112's and why?
  15. EAGary

EAGary Registered User

May 27, 2002
    First off, please understand that I am biased toward EA amplifiers since I am the amplifier engineer and am largely responsible for the EA sound. I have also been a professional bass player for over 30 years, largely in the jazz and show band circuit (although I've had my fun with Top 40 cover bands) and am confident that I can speak with some authority regarding equipment sound and performance. I have played through just about everything at one time or another.

With that said, the iAmp350 will power two of the CXL112's nicely and to an impressive volume and the rig will cover most rooms with sufficient stage volume. However, no amplifier should be run at full power to get the loudness you need; you don't run an engine at red line RPM even though it can go that high. If you need STUPID LOUD performance, you will need to use the new iAmp800 with a pair of the 112's. The SPL and tonal quality coming from this rig is unbelievable. We have had local players come by and test the proto setup and it's outright scarey. I highly recommend earplugs when standing in front of it. John Dong has done his speaker magic once again and the 800 loves it.

Gary Gibilisco, EA, Inc.
  16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Eden? What's that?
  17. bassicrunner

Sep 23, 2001
    So, will it be ok to have an iamp 800 with only one cxl for awhile and get an extension later? When I say ok, I mean it won't blow up or decintegrate...
  18. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Hey EA Gary,

Just wanted to drop you a line -I love my iAmp 600, but I think I will sell it and my Walter Woods once the new head is out! It sounds like a real solution for doublers like me who need lots of power in a manageable box.

Very happy to see the lighter weight 112. I have 2 CXL-110's and perhaps one of them will have to go in favour of a new 112. . .:)
  19. EAGary

EAGary Registered User

May 27, 2002
    Thanks to everyone for your kind words and your continued support of EA products. If you want to communicate with anyone at EA outside of TalkBass, you can e-mail me directly at gary@euphonicaudio.com and I will see that the message is forwarded appropriately. The staff at EA makes themselves readily available to our customer base; after all, you are the ultimate judges of our products.

The 800 can of course be used with any speaker from any manufacturer; it just won't get as loud with one CXL112 as it will with two of them.

Also, on another note, start planning on using Speakon connectors with good wire for the speaker connections on all high power EA amps. 1/4" plugs will not reliably handle the 25 or so amps of speaker current. This is becomming very important as we squeeze more watts out of amplifier technology.

Gary Gibilisco, EA, Inc.
  20. EAGary

EAGary Registered User

May 27, 2002
    The VL210 and the CXL112 were designed with a different sound in mind.

In general, the VL series has a flat, super clean studio quality sound as opposed to the new CXL series which is more contemporary and aggressive sounding. Players swear by both cabinet philosophies depending on the application. The CXL's will get louder than the VL's with the same amount of watts because John Dong has substantially increased the efficiency of the CXL line.

Gary Gibilisco
    EA, Inc.