Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

iamp cuts the mix

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by defrost, Mar 31, 2005.

1. defrost

defrost

Sep 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I know it has been said before, but I just thought I would take this opporunity to say again how wonderfuly the iamp cuts through the mix and sounds great and distinct at volumes that are not over powering.

I play in a 20 or so-piece big band (depending on how many guys show up) and have always had a problem being heard without overpowering the band with a bunch of boomy bass. The iamp has solved that problem, as the sound falls right into place in the mix. I was a little concerned when I first got it, thinking that it might not have enough volume, but after playing with the band I have since changed my mind.

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Yup. Love mine, worth every penny.

3. babaseen

babaseen Don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2001
    Boston, MA
    +1

I couldn't agree more.

4. I'm digging the hell out of mine, too.

I picked up an extra-long patch cord so I can stand farther away from my cab (EA CXL112 and/or Berg HTT112) with the iAmp next to me for tone tweaking. That way, I can hear a better representation of the out-in-the-audience sound coming from the cab but I can also tweak the tone controls far easier. Given the substantial amount of tonal options afforded by the iAmp, other users may want to give this $20 experiment a try.

babaseen: I can't help but ask - if you like the iAmp so much, why does your signature show that you're selling yours?

6. defrost

defrost

Sep 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I have the CXL1-12.

7. babaseen

Apr 15, 2001
    Boston, MA
    babaseen: I can't help but ask - if you like the iAmp so much, why does your signature show that you're selling yours?

Danny;
    I am a major fan of the iAMP 800 and also have the NL-210, but I must admit I am addicted to experimentation with gear and I have an opportunity to score a WWU so I need the cash. Wish I had the money to buy alot of equipment but I need to sell to buy at this point. You never know I may purchase an iAMP 800 again although the 500 looks tempting too.
    --baba

8. Not to hijack the thread, but how do you like the NL-210? I really liked how that cab compared to the CXL 112 on the basstasters.com samples.

9. babaseen

Apr 15, 2001
    Boston, MA
    The NL-210 is one of the best 2x10 cabs I have ever used or heard and its light weight to boot. See the excellent review on the TalkBass Home page

10. Babaseen - how much for the i-800 ? I assume you'd have no objections to shipping it to Ireland?

11. babaseen

Apr 15, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Sorry BelfastBass it is in state of being sold.

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The basstasters clips pretty much mirror what my experiences have been with the NL-210. It is the warmest sounding EA 2x10, though this doesn't mean 'excessive' warmth. It manages to retain a high level of clarity and articulation, but has a more full, rich midrange compared to the CxL-112. The CxL-112 does go deeper, though. In fact the two sound very good together. Also, I have found that the NL-210 sounds much more like the Wizzy than it does the CxL-112.

They're all great cabs, though!

13. That's good to know - the basstasters site is really cool, but I've always wondered about how those clips mirrored real-world results.

My interest in the NL 210 may have just doubled, based on your comments, Tom. My CXL 112 is an awesome cabinet, but there is an edge to the midrange that I don't like at all. Only after changing pickups (realist to stat-b) and amps (clarus to iAmp 800) did I realize that the midrange sharpness really does seem to come from the CXL.

By comparison, my Bergantino HTT 112 doesn't exhibit the same sharpness, although it goes a tad too far in the opposite direction for my taste - too smooth and scooped-ish. Besides that, the Berg by itself couldn't begin to handle high volume, big transients, or EB like the CXL. If the NL 210 is a shade less sharp than the CXL but has similarly phenomenal volume, lows, transients, and EB flexibility, I may have found my new GAS target!

What, in your opinion, are the drawbacks of the 210 in comparison to the CXL (or any other cab, for that matter)?

Sorry for the thread hijack, defrost, and thanks for the great feedback, Tom! :)

14. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    It does sound like the NL-210 would be a great cab for you. I also hear that "edge" to the CxL-112, and this is not present in the NL-210.

Disadvantages? Wow, I am hard-pressed to find any. I guess there are some cabs that might be better for 5-string (the VL-210 does seem to go deeper, as does the CxL-112), and there are some cabs with slightly more clarity (again, VL-210 and CxL-112 come to mind), but this is really splitting hairs, and I don't see how you could have much more clarity without loosing some of the pleasing warmth.

The CxL-112 and NL-210 sound really, really good together!

15. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Durn it Tom,
    :spit:
    I just bought a used CxL-112 (old heavy version) after reading a bunch of reviews in which your opinions were rather prominent (go figure). All this 210 talk is making me NEED a NL-210. Will you not be happy till I'm completely broke?!?! You are truly an evil man.... :D

16. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Sorry! ;) I stand by all I have said about the CxL-112. Any "negative" comments about it sounding thin or edgy compared to the NL-210 can be easily corrected for with EQ. It responds very well to EQ. But again, the two cabs together are really something!

Two Wizzy's is another favorite of mine.

17. defrost

defrost

Sep 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    You know Tom, My original plan was to get both the CXL112 and the NL210, but I couldnt afford it so I got only the 1-12. I've been so happy with it that I had kind of forgotten about the 2-10. Now it seems I may have to re-evaluate that and tell the wife it is a "must have now" kind of item.

18. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I have tried, and collected, a lot of gear, but it's hard not to get excited over just about any EA cab. They do such a good job with all of them. The only downside, is that it becomes quite addicting! So far, the only EA cab that I have not owned is the NM-410, and that is just because I have written off using cabs that big (I was dinging up the door jams around my basement steps too much).

19. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    That would be my fault

Mike

20. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    You've gotten me "in trouble" more than once, I must say! ;)