1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

iAMP Micro 300, Markbass F1, Eden WTX-260

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by bolo, Aug 17, 2007.

1. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    The Sept. ’07 issue of BP has a four page spread on these three featherweight heads.

I’d sum up the review highlights, but ... they probably want you to go out and buy the mag. ;) If I worked for them (I’m willing), I probably would too.

[ Pssst ... The article will probably be available for viewing at bassplayer.com in a little while. ]

EA also sent a Wizzy 10 along, so maybe we will see a gear review in a subsequent issue. The Markbass F1 is pictured w/ a Traveler 102P 2x10 and a Traveler 121H 1x12, and the Eden is shown w/ a D112XLT 1x12.

2. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    Interesting........I've been using the Eden and have been happy with it, but have been curious about the other stuff also, particularly the 300. I don't suppose BP actually tells much more than, 'they are all good', but I'll check it out.

Oh, forget that. I'm going to practice more:rolleyes: .

3. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Yeah clink, I did recall that you were using the Eden w/ upright and reporting good results.

Actually IMO this article is well-written and informative. I think they do a nice job of highlighting the key features for each amp. And they go into a fair amount of detail re: what they feel are the strongpoints and essential character of each unit.

Surprisingly it's not all syrupy praise either. There are a couple of construction/design gripes about the EA, which EA says have since been resolved. Apparently BP got one of the earlier units w/ transformer issues. They also point out there is no balanced XLR output on the Micro. I think the only thing they did not like about the Eden was that in their words it "could be a little louder."

They don't say if any were actually tested w/ upright, which I guess would be my only gripe.

4. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    Volume has never been a problem with the Eden. My only concern is that I haven't tried the other stuff and I wonder if it is as transparent as the other stuff-for DB. OTOH, a friend of mine who has tried everything pm'd me to say the tone starts with a thought, travels to your hands and out the amp. Amps are amps he said. He's a heck of a player, so maybe I SHOULD just practice more.

5. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Just so all of you are aware, I received my Micro 300 back from EA today and it looks like all of the issues have been resolved. This one is pretty quiet, no more signal leak when the mute button is engaged, and it even sounds louder than the one I sent back. :D

Edit: Another interesting thing: The mute is always engaged when you power up the amp. At first I found it a bit annoying, but I'm beginning to appreciate it.

- Frank.

6. thanks for the 'heads' up Bolo.
    After reading it I kinda wondered why they didn't throw an acoustic image head into the mix.

7. What was the "skinny" on the F1 in the review

8. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Probably that it was "skinny" compared to the other two :smug: ;)

9. From the BP review September 2007

EA micro 300
    Pros:
    Crisp and clear tone. Two channel
    design greatly improves flexibility,
    crazy light.
    Cons:
    No XLR output
    Bottom Line:
    An excellent choice for a weight
    conscience gigger,
    especially one who doubles

MARKBASS F1
    Pros:
    Syrupy juicy midrange and smooth top;
    Louder than one might think; well voiced EQ
    Cons:
    No mute switch
    Bottom Line:
    A light head that sounds big for it's britches

EDEN WTX-260
    Pros:
    Extremely Flexible preamp with
    thoughtful, Rugged design.
    Clean, clear tone.
    Cons:
    Could be a hair louder.
    Bottom Line:
    A baby-sized head with a daddy-sized tool-belt

10. Hey Randy thanks for posting the info

11. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    Randy almost said it all. Thanks man.
    The Eden does sound best for me on both DB and slabs when everything is set flat. A minor tweak of the tone controls does more than any amp I've tried, and usually it's best to leave everything at noon. I haven't doubled with it yet, but when I do I'll run an active bass into the aux input and control tone and volume at the bass. It is a very flexible amp.
    No experience with the other amps.

12. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Well, now that you've got the scoop, I still think you oughta consider laying down the $5.99 cover price if you're that interested. That's part of what makes their world go 'round at BP.

13. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Oh, now I get it. :rolleyes:
    You're right, same weight range. Probably 'cuz it ain't so new anymore I reckon, in relative terms. The AI does have some unique features for DB in comparison (HPF, notch). LOTS of little white buttons. But I think the VLE on the Markbass looks pretty interesting too.

I still stare at my Focus and wonder how they packed 800 watts and all those features in that little thang. Rick is one seriously smart dude.

14. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    The lack of an XLR out is not a biggie for me. I got around it by getting a 1ft 1/4" TRS --> Male XLR cable... problem solved.

15. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    ...in addition to all of the advertising they have. ;)

16. hey uglybassplayer;
    Is there any documentation that says
    That it's now supposed to power up in mute mode?
    That does seems odd but I guess
    if you were used to it it'd be OK.

Right; there is an article on slapper Lee Rocker
    and a really good transcription
    of Jaco’s “HAVONA” that includes
    interesting analysis and thoughts
    by bassists including Christen McBride.
    I think reading the whole three ‘light head’ reviews
    might worth the price of admission but it
    is not a shoot-out in as much as a
    overview of each amp viewed separately.

And I agree with you Bolo,
    I too wish this article had included a test drive
    with a double bass.
    Let’s cross fingers in hopes of a possible BP reviews of
    the wizzy 10 and markbass travel cabs with a double bass.
    I am always happy that I paid for a subscription
    when they include a DB in reviews.

17. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    It worked that way ever since I've had it, even before I sent it back to be repaired. I don't recall reading anything in the manual about it though.

- Frank.

18. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Are any of these heads switchable for 110/220 volts for international travel?

19. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    The EA automatically adjusts to voltage from 90 to 250, I think--no need for switches, just adapters.

20. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks!