1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Iamp Pro TecAmp Puma 1000 has anyone played both?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dee rob, Mar 17, 2009.

1. dee rob

dee rob

Feb 3, 2003
    austin, tx
    Like the title says....has anyone had a chance to play both, and can offer up any comparisons? I know Glenn at ABT carries both, but I believe he's been out of town lately, so I haven't had a chance to check either of these out yet. Thanks!

dee

2. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    I'm interested in this as well! I loved the muscular tone that the TecAmp put out when I played it, but the I amp is a better price point and more wattage at 4 ohms.... these choices never get easier!

3. dee rob

dee rob

Feb 3, 2003
    austin, tx
    If it helps at all, I currently play EA cabs...either 2 NL-210's or 1 NL-210 and 1 CXL 112. My main concern with the Puma is that to bridge the output you need a single 8 ohm cab. Unfortunately, my current cabs are all 8 ohm, and even though the output is 1000W, there's only so much air you can move with a single 210, and sometimes I need to bring along a 2nd cab for proper volume. I've "heard" that you can bridge the Puma to 4 ohms without issue, but I'm wary of that and not particulary interested in voiding the warranty on an $1800 amp!!

I have a pretty good idea of what I'll get if I go with the Iamp Pro, but man, everything I hear about the Puma has got me intrigued. I'd go with the Puma 500, but I've got some concerns that I may run out of volume in a couple of the projects I've got going.

Again, any advice or opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

dee

4. I've owned the iAmp800 and currently have the Puma500. I agree that if you are using a single small 8ohm 210, the Puma500 might not be the best choice, and the Puma1000 would be overkill (and really makes no sense with two 8ohm cabs). If you always used both cabs, the Puma500 would probably kill. The voicing of the NL210 is quite similar to my ear as the TecAmp 's' cabs that were designed to be pushed by the Puma heads.

The iAmpPro seems perfect, since EA is one of those brands that seems to work particularly well when matching their heads with their cabs. I'm concerned, as always, about the noise level in the iAmps (hiss), but can't comment on the new model, since I think it just started to ship.

While I like the voicing of the Puma much better than the iAmp in general (at least the 500/800 that I've owned... don't know how different the Pro will be), for your particular set-up, and if you are digging the EA cabs, the Pro seems like a no brainer to me given the price, the power into 8ohms (and 4ohms), and the match with your EA cabs. I think the iAmp line of amps really shines with the NL210 myself.

IMO!

5. dee rob

dee rob

Feb 3, 2003
    austin, tx

I do tend to run both cabs....how would you compare the Iamp 800 and the Puma 500 in terms of overall volume? Thanks.

dee

6. I have not directly A/B'd, but my feeling is the volume is about the same into 4ohms (the minimum impedance for the Puma). Part of this is the extreme low end extension/voicing of the iAmp800 (IMO), that eats up a bit of power and results in 'deep and wide' versus 'tight and punchy'. I never could really EQ that out.

I would hope the iAmpPro would be significantly louder into 4ohms, and similar in volume to the Puma1000 bridged into a similar cabinet at 8ohms.

Edit: I just looked at the iAmpPro specs. Strange. They have the 8ohm wattage at 600 and the 4ohm at 1200. This is strange, and suggests either an understatement of 8ohm wattage or an overstatement of the 4ohm wattage. You usually see about a 35%-40% increase in wattage from 8 to 4.

7. dee rob

dee rob

Feb 3, 2003
    austin, tx
    I noticed that as well, and found it a bit strange. Hopefully, I'll get to try these side by side. Unfortunately, Glenn can order both, but I don't think he has either in stock :crying:

Thanks!

dee

8. I know Glenn has his own personal Puma1000, so you could at least try that. I'm not sure the Pro's are even shipping yet. I think someone got a 'pre production' model a while back, but the posts about it mysteriously disappeared. Not sure what that's all about.

I tell you what, the spec on the Pro seems pretty cool with all that power at 4ohms in a moderate sized head under 10 pounds. I look forward to at least checking one out sometime. I'm not a huge fan of the preamp on the iAmps, but with a new power amp and power supply, the tone might be just different enough to peak my interest again.

If you do get to try one, post up about it!

9. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    To me the TecAmp Puma 1000 had one of the better "plug and play" tones I have heard in a small head. I really need to find a 500 and see if it sounds the same. I was using one side of the 1000 at 40hms and the volume was massive and "felt" impressive. No mud, just lean mean bass. This was with an older SWR cab. I'd love to hear one of their heads with their cabs. I've always like the size of the Iamps but never was that attracted to the tone, jmo. The new one definitely sounds intriguing though!

10. dee rob

dee rob

Feb 3, 2003
    austin, tx
    Anyone else care to jump in?

dee

11. Is the Puma 1000 available yet?

12. It has been available in the US for about 6-8 months, I assume longer in the EU.