Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

iAmp users: Post your Eq section

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by `ash, Apr 8, 2005.

1. `ash

`ash

Feb 26, 2004
    Melbourne
    im just curious to see. This might work it might not.

Attached Files:

2. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    I usually don't use the EQ on mine unless the room forces me to. Great amps

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Mine varies with the cabs I am powering. With EA cabs, I generally bypass the EQ, as it sounds fantabulistic just set flat (though the CxL-112 loves the Deep switch). With Accugroove, I usually dial in some upper mids/highs, and hit the Bright switch. Other cabs vary, but I do find myself tweaking the mids on many other cabs, usually with at least two bands.

Good thread idea!

Tom.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    cool thread,

would be very helpful to a few noobs to the iAMP's versatile EQ.

i want to note, that while the faceplate has written certain frequencies, to my ear, they're not the same. i.e. 180 Hz in the "low mids" section does not affect the same frequency as the 180Hz in the "lows" section. still, all the more you should use your ears, and use the frequencies written as merely a guide.

with that said, and like a good ol' broken record,

here are a sample of my settings:

- nice bump in the lows around 40-50Hz for a room shaking window rattling dub like rumble.
    - nice bump in the low mids around 180 Hz. for a great punch in the gut
    - cut back in the high mids around 880 to alleviate some breathing space for your bandmates
    - add some high mids around 250Hz for a growly sound that's great for fretless
    - add some in the highs around 2k for a cutting zingy top end that's great for slap
    - cut those same 2k's to alleviate string noise
    - add some in the highs around 8K for an airy top end

i barely use the bright, deep or contour switches, cause the EQ is plenty versatile for me.

and to rid of those pesky boomy frequencies:

- cut -5dB in the lows section, and sweep the frequency slider until the boom disappears. if not there, then merely move to the low mids section.

again, the iAMP's EQ section is one of the best i've used. and again, every time i sit down with the iAMP, i find more cool settings and combinations of settings.

and while it is a tweakers' dream, the presets sound darn good. when used in conjunction with the brite and deep switches, there's plenty of tone to go around. still, with the EQ section sitting right above, why miss out on a good thing? :)

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    In general, I boost high mids and highs slightly and use the bright switch. I find that with my cabs and basses, there's always enough bottom (usually too much) in the rooms I play. And I HATE that cancellation that can happen with the kick drum when you've got too much low-end dialed in. My drummer hates it, too! ;)

6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Well, here's my iAmp EQ:

OK, once in a while I hit the Deep button for my ABG at low columes, and I sometimes use Contour 2 for my electrics. But that's it.

7. I bypass the EQ as well. I do use the deep and bright (not always) and the contour II button, but I don't typically use the EQ. These amps are so great it's sick.

8. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Typically, off.

9. Daniel L.

Daniel L. Guest

Aug 30, 2002
    I set mine completely flat. I prefer having the preamp engaged and set flat, rather than having it bypassed. Call me crazy, but, I hear a slight difference.

Anyone else notice this? :eyebrow:

10. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Yeah, I've noticed that too. I doubt that either setting is absolutely flat and phase coherent anyway, not that there's anything wrong with that. :cool:

Anyhow, I use the EQ section mostly for cuts, especially handy for the EUB for taming honkiness or feedback issues. I tend to use the narrow bandwidth setting on the mid-high band, and the wider setting on the low-mids. Depending on the cab and room, I use Contour 2 or Contour 1 fairly often, but ignoring all the presets and using the EQ almost always seems to give the best results, given the time to dial things in. Time I don't always have, I might add. I never, ever have used the Deep or Bright switches on a gig. I could see those being handy if you don't have PA support though, I guess.

11. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    subscribe

I have an iAMP800 and run it flat. Almost started the same thread today.