Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

iAmp...?

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by Balor, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    Since you're kind of an autority for all that is Euphonic audio stuff I have a question for you. Do you have any EQ suggestion for EA amp's? What kind of setting do you normally use? There are 2 setting avaliable on the site, but I'm looking to find some new sound.

thanks
    PL

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Balor,
    Although I usually play with mine flat and use my fingers, touch and attack to change tones, there are some things that I like to do with the EQ. I will often like to play around with harmonics and I like the harmonics to really ring true. I usually boost the mid-highs about 10 db, sweep through the frequency range until you find some harmonics really ringing out and leave it there. I also like to play around with the tube sound that I explain on the EA site. I also like to do the inverse to "normal" slap tone. Instead of boosting the bass and treble and scooping the mids, I like to create an EQ setting that is just the oppoiste - boost the mids, leave the bass flat and cut the highs a bit.

The flexibility and range of tones available with the iAMP is sometimes daunting. There is nothing better than a good afternoon of playing around and inventing new and interesting things

Mike

3. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    I've tried that tube setting and fund it to be very interesting but a bit to dramatic... Instead of using the deep switch, I put the bass section at 40hz and boost to taste, instead of beeing stuck at the preset. The 180Hz and 4KHz don't move to much and are ajusted to fit the bass. 640Hz isn't avaliable on the high mids section, the next best thing is 880Hz and it works quite nicely.

thanks for the info
    PL

4. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    One thing to remember -each bass is different. The sounds that I put on the EA site were based on my MTD 435 set flat. Different basses will obviosuly have a different vibe

5. Mike;

since you're obviously an experienced authority on EA gear I hope you don't mind asking you a couple of questions:

After years of playing Mesa Boogie gear I purchased 2 CXL112s and love the sound of them. I am currenlty using the M2000 basis head. Now I am considering purchasing an Iamp, since I have the feeling that the Iamp with the EA cabs would even sound better, I had the same experience with my Mesa head and Mesa cabs.

now the following questions:

1. A friend of mine has a 350 combo for a reasonable price.
    Would the amp be powerful enough to fire up the
    integrated 10" speaker and one additional CXL112?
    2. If I take the amp out of the combo, would be also
    powerful enough to run both CXL112s?

3. I have a 2nd offer purchasing an Iamp 600 for a similar
    price as the 350 combo. Since I am almost certain that
    this amp would be adequate to power both CXL112s,
    I wonder if to get the best sound out of this setup, to
    "daisy chain" the 12s and use one speaker out, or
    just use both speaker outs?

I'd really appreciate a response.

thanks in advance

Sincerely,

Jorg

6. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Jorg,

In all honesty, I have to say that my involvement with EA started around the time of the introduction of the iAMP800 and the new line of Class D, digital power amps. I am just not familiar enough with the 350 to give you a real educated comment. Sorry.

Mike

7. Mike;

I appreciate your response.

Well, you know that trying out an amp in a live or rehearsal situation is the very best to dertermine whether an amp is appropriate for you or not. Since I do not have the possibility to test neither the 350 combo nor the Iamp 600, I think I just go for a brand new Iamp 800.

I'll have to check where I'd be able in Los Angeles County or Southern California to really try this amp out.

thanks again

Jorg

:bassist:

8. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999