Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Iamp800 Cxl112 Wizzy

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Mar 19, 2006.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Any body have any thoughts or comments on this setup?

Cheers

2. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Well obviously I am biased. I used this very set up on two different gigs this weekend. The cabinet is growing on me. Even more so than the Wizzy but that could all change next week since I like all three of EA current offerings.

Did you not just buy this set up or are you still thinking about it? If you just got I'm guessing you are having some second thoughts.

What thoughts do you have?

3. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I got the Iamp800 and the cxl112 and love it, but am thinking of adding another cab both a Wizzy and CXL112(L) have popped up s/h here and I'm tempted by them and the wizzy is cheaper and a more vintage sound, so I'm just seeing peoples opinions

Cheers

4. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    If you are thinking on running both together I'd go with the second CXL.

If you want a separate smaller cab for using on its own then the Wizzy is great to have.

That said if you are using two cabs keep an eye out for a used NL210. That and the CXL are a great combination.

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 to all of the above, but with the added comment that an iAMP 800 with two Wizzy's is a crazy good rig, too!

The iAMP 800/CxL-112/Wizzy setup actually sounds really, really good. But, I do worry about the Wizzy seeing 2/3 of the power. An NL-210 might offer some of the Wizzy's warmth and fullness, and make for a better match.

Tom.

6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have run my iAMP 500 with a CXL-112/Wizzy and it does sound good. I personally did not like the CXL-112 by itself. I like to pair it with another cab to get a more "vintage" sound.

But like Tom said, in that combination the Wizzy is going to dominate. If you only need another cab to get a bit more volume, you will be ok. But you would have to be careful with the volume since the wizzy will get the bulk of the power.

If you like the CXL-112, another 8 ohm cab might be a better choice. Two wizzys is my prefered setup.

7. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Not to sidetrack, but has anyone tried a 3 or 4 Wizzy stack?

[I know you'd need either 2 amps or a stereo power amp because of the impedence (unless you used a series connection in there somewhere instead of all parallel).]

8. wneff

wneff Supporting Member

May 27, 2003
    Woburn, MA
    Has anyone tried the CXl112/Wizzy set in series?

On an iAMP800 that would give you approx. 400W, about 260 of wich would go to the CXL and 130 to the Wizzy. Requires custom cable.

Wolfram

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Oh, trust me, I have been tempted! :D

Technically, I am running 4 Wizzy's when I use my two Azola Super Wizzy's! ;)

Tom.

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    wow, that sounds like it'd be fun.

:bassist: