Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

iAMP800 & phantom power?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Steve Clark, Dec 12, 2004.

1. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I remember reading something about using the iAMP DI into a PA board with Phantom power. I can't remember if that was a risk to the iAMP or not. Can anyone help me out? I played a small gig last night and we switched the phantom power off since the mikes did not need it.

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Steve,
    The best thing to do is to email gary@euphonicaudio.com directly with this question. Gary is a really nice guy and I'm sure he can help you

Mike

3. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Ditto on Mike's comment about Gary. He's extremely knowledgeable and helpful.

4. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    Do you think you can post what Gary tells you as soon as you know something?
    thanks a lot

NUNO

5. Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Hi, I did get a reply from Gary and asked if it was OK to post on TB. It's OK with Gary.

Hello Steve:

Thanks for your support of EA.

I wish I could be more specific, but it's hard to say whether or not the phantom power will damage anything because of so many variables. The circuit is not designed to be protected from phantom power, but there are blocking capacitors in the signal path that will protect the op-amps, but the phantom power voltage may exceed the voltage rating of the capacitors.

If you want to give it a try, go ahead and use the 800 DI with the phantom power turned on and see if you damage anything. If you do, I'll fix it free of charge. I'm curious to see myself. Even if you damage it, your probably won't take the rest of the amp down anyway. Gary, EA, Inc.

Gary did reply very quickly. I'm slow at posting. I will probably avoid phantom powered boards if I can or use an outboard DI. The iAMP is all I have so I can't afford to be without it.

6. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    I don't know try it and see if it breaks your stuff.........

What kind of response is that. I am blown away that a company of this status would respond like that. That is completely unacceptable. Why doesn't he try it with one of the heads he's got in the shop instead of insisting you gamble with yours. Thats not cool.

danman

7. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    The only way you can be sure that it wont be damaged is if the DI is isolated by a transformer such as a Jensen. Since the DI on the iAmp is not, like the EA guy said it may or may not cause damage. If you are really worried about it get an outboard DI equipped with a transformer like Radial.

8. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    EA offers an optional Jensen Transformer for all it's amps

9. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Gary clearly stated that it was not designed that way. If Steve wanted to try it and there was a problem, he would fix it at no charge. There is no gamble, except for possibly a few days w/o the amp. He did not insist anything, he gave an option to Steve and let him know that he is doing it risk free.

I love you guys who can take a simple response and make it into some kind of huge issue. Seems like it is an epidemic at talkbass

Dimin

10. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    I didn't mean to offend.

I just think that if it was not designed for it, the company should not reccomend that you try it. Its nice of him to offer to fix it, but why would he reccomend that you gamble with your equipment. That doesn't sound good for you or for him. It seems like a lose lose situation.

Sorry if I offended you and I don't mean to create a " huge issue".

danman

11. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Danman,
    Thanks for the response. Much appreciated. I think the response was sincere and honest, unlike many other companies who will feed you some corporate line. For my .02 it shows that EA is always willing to stand behind their product. EA is extremely responsive to customer needs. If phantom power becomes/is an issue than Gary will design the solution.

Mike

12. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Steve - If you plug into a PA often that runs phantom power your best bet would be to get the Jensen transformer installed in your amp and that way you wouldnt have to worry about it.

13. Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I am happy with Gary's response. I have a RavenLabs MDB1 that I can use for a DI for all my basses if necessary.