Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

IAMP800 with Epifani UL410....versatile enough from rock to reggae to funk???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by djshawn47, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Does anyone have any experience with this set up. Are you happy with it? is it a good pairing? Will it cut through loud distorted guitars, but also lay down the bottom for reggae and get funky if necessary. I am thinking of going in this direction because of the balance of weight and power which really seems to be good...and i can get really decent prices on both of them used, but i want to know if it is a versatile rig.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    if its not, then there's something wrong...

seriously, its an awesome combo, and would rock anyone's world.

3. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Sounds like a killer rig!

4. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Yum!

5. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Don't forget your ear-plugs :bassist: Very versatile rig imo. Get to know the Euphonic's tone-shaping section and you will have happy ears.

Ken

6. I know I know. It sounds like a killer rig to me too. I am just surprised that no one else is using it. It just makes so much sense to me as far as weight Vs. Power, but i dont know what the tone will be like. I mean realistically when we are talking about high end gear.....there really isnt bad, just a matter of preferance.....That being said when you are spending money on botique gear you also want to make sure you like what you are paying for. Unfortunately i dont have the ability to test drive before i buy.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    actually,

you'd be really surprised at the number of gents using this very rig. contrary to popular belief, not everyone who plays bass is necessarily on TB. ;)

8. I used the iAmp800 with my 410UL for a while. It was plenty loud and sounded good. I personally found the incredible clarity of the Epi410UL to not be the best match for the incredible clarity of the iAmp800. It ended up being a little too 'sterile and clean' for my ears, and I greatly prefer the Thunderfunk500 with the Epi410UL (4ohm version). The voicing of the TF seems to profide more punch in a gig setting to my ears with the 410UL. I also prefer the TF build quality.

The iAmp800's presets sounded great with my EACXL210, but sounded very extreme with the 410UL. It seems to me that the iAmp800 is voiced for a more 'flat' cab (as flat is used on this forum anyway).

That all being said, it sounded fine and this gets down to personal taste.

9. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    :eek::eek::eek: Say it ain't so.

;)

10. farboozle

farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    I used an iamp800 with an epifani 410 nyc. I think the UL version of the cab would improve this combo, but with the old NYC version it didn't fill the bill for me.

11. Would you expand on what you mean by "didnt fit the bill"? How did it not "fit the bill"? Thank you

12. farboozle

farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    I couldn't hear myself on stage, no matter what eq or volume. It was good size funk band, horns, the lot, so there was a lot of stuff going on. I sold the epifani, kept the iamp thinking I would eventually sell it. However, it runs a lot better with my schroeder 410. There still might be volume issues in the loudest of loud bands, but I'm currently playing with mid-level loudness.

But like I said, from people's comments about the UL sound difference, it might have been a better match.