Ian Anderson (Jethro Tull) wants your bass!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Bob Gollihur, Oct 16, 2002.

1. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Saw this on another board and had to pass it on (with no comment, feel free to make your own) - it's at http://www.jethrotull.com/news/rubbingbass.html

Ian Anderson Wants Your Bass!

On the up-coming Rubbing Elbows with Ian Anderson Tour, I need to borrow a 3/4 size stand-up double bass for my bass-player, David Goodier, to use in many of the songs.
    Some of the promoters can't be sure of getting one locally and we don't want to drag David's around with us due to the difficulty of placing it securely under the seat in front or in the overhead locker. So we need a different bass for each of the 11 concerts. A stand for it would be a help too.

If you are a bass player of a good playing quality instrument (or have a close pal who is) and you live in or near one of the shows in the towns below, you might like two free tickets to the concert and the opportunity to hear how it sounds from the good seats in the house. Real wood is preferred over plywood models. We have our own quickly mountable Fishman pick-up and an SWR amp.

Don't forget: it must be a professional quality instrument with new(ish) strings and ready to play. Not Uncle Bill's beat-up old spider coffin gathering cobwebs in the attic!

If you are unavailable to attend the show, or desperately need the money, I am prepared to pay a modest (Oh, what a skinflint) commercial rent for the instrument for one night in each of the following areas:

Milwaukee, WI October 8th
    Kalamazoo, MI October 10th
    Toledo, OH October 11th
    Cincinnati OH October 12th
    Easton, PA October 13th
    Troy/Albany NY October 15th
    Wilmington, DE October 16th
    Tarrytown, NY October 17th
    Keene, NH October 18th
    Ridgefield, CT October 19th
    Poughkeepsie, NY October 20th

The full list of venues is available under "Tours" on this website. We need the instrument no later than three PM on the day of show. If you can help, please contact Kenny Wylie, Production Manager, on jtullprod@aol.com as soon as possible.

If you don't have a bass to lend to me, please don't use that e-mail address as it is for Mr. Wylie's professional and daily commercial use only.
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think I would have suggested he buys a nice EUB for his bass player that would fold down/pack up and be easily transportable - maybe you could sell him one Bob? ;)
  3. bassbloke

Feb 26, 2002
    Anderson doesn't paint himself in a flattering light by making it clear that he'd pay a "modest" rent only as a last resort. He is a multi-millionare and significant landowner after all.
  4. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    More power to Mr. Anderson. You don't get to be a "multi-millionaire" by giving people exorbitant fees for menial tasks.

Besides, he is Scottish. Being cheap is in his blood.

:D :D
  5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Then my sympathy and best wishes go out to David Goodier on the Big Tour, because, in my experience, you get what you pay for. Or in his case, you don't get what the boss don't pay for. P.S.; I'm with Bruce, buy an EUB and be done with it.
  6. maybe he's really just after the 'hometown vibe mojo'....

7. Heeeeeeeeeeeey.........

Well, maybe, but only when it suits me.:cool:
  8. bassbloke

Feb 26, 2002
    "He is just trying to nip the "let's take this Jethro Tull guy for all he's worth" vultures in the bud!"

Why not do that by paying a fair market rate rental when he can so easily afford it?

"Besides, he is Scottish. Being cheap is in his blood."

Anderson moved to England at an early age and never lived in Scotland again. I can only assume he had had his inbred notions of Scottish hospitality and generosity beaten out of him down there ;-)