1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ian Dury`s "Hit me". Who`s the bassist ?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Papersen, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I listened to that tune yesterday evening while driving back home. I got immediately stuck by the bass line, a tasteful 16th note groove alla Rocco that drove the song.

Does anybody know who`s the bassist ?

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Norman Watt-Roy.

3. Norman recorded that track the morning after seeing Jaco play with Weather Report live in London, and was in that 1/16th groove vide for the time in the studio - amazing bassline throughout huh?

Now - if only he had spent more time taking care of his teeth he wouldn't have ended up like this!!!!! (and you thought Austin Powers had bad teeth!!!????)

_42295010_norman203.

4. Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    :eek:

5. Bofee

Bofee

Aug 19, 2005
    Grass Valley, CA
    The Blockheads were one of the great bands from that time, though most people have never heard of them.

6. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Good story and great picture !

I gotta admit, I`ve never heard them before. I`ll check some of their music. Thanks.

7. Mcgiver69

Mcgiver69

Sep 28, 2005
    England
    He played the bass in "Relax" with Frankie Goes to Hollywood.

Check out "Sex, Drugs and Rock & Roll" for a very tasteful bassline.

8. PhR

PhR

Dec 13, 2005
    Finland
    He played also on The Clash's "The Magnificent Seven" and before The Blockheads was on The Greatest Show On Earth.
    http://www.myspace.com/greatestshowonearth70

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Must be nice to see Jaco play a concert & then have the ability to nail that kinda the very next morning.
    ;)

10. If any of you don't know the track - here it is:

11. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    almost as bad as Shane MacGowan....:eek:

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6131854.stm

Did you all see this article about his teeth? He's got them all fixed now. He said if a tooth hurt, he'd just take a pain killer and keep going. Man, imagine how bad his breath must have been! Great bassist, but what a mess!

13. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I've been a huge fan of Norman's for many years. I'm thrilled that people are getting to hear his playing. The guy was funky and deep in the pocket and the Blockheads were a great band. Hit Me is one of my bass classics that gets stranded on the island with me.
    Peace

14. yes yes! fantastic song, bassline and a seminal band- dirty punky funky what more do you need?!