Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ian Hill of judas priest

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by lyle, Aug 23, 2005.

1. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    Freakin heck, if this day couldn't get any better! I was at my girlfriends house, it was her birthday and everything was going great when..... My dad calls and said he won me 2 tickets to see judas priest and anthrax! WAAAAAAAAAAA. He called into the local radio station won them , days before i was just telling him about the show comming up. So now my and my girl friend are going to be face to face with one of the most rockin and elder :smug: metal bands out their.

So what ya guys think of Mr. Hill :p

2. Congrats!

I think Mr. Hill does the job fine. Some snobs will come and tell you that he can't play because he's not flashy, but I think he does what's right for the songs, and he's a solid player. I hear he has an upright background.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    my first band in the early 80s was a Judas Priest cover band! I was just thinking about them/him the other day and broke out my collection of Priest CDs.... "Unleashed in the East" is still one of my favorite CDs. I'm kinda working on recording an all bass instrumental version of "Desert Plains" :bassist:

4. Ian is not Flashy but he is freakin SOLID and holds the bottom down tight for the Priest. Cliff Williams is the same way from AC/DC. I believe it dont always pay to be the Flashiest but to be the MOST SOLID :bassist:

5. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I'd like to hear it! Haven't heard that LP in a long time, but "Desert Plains" was always my favorite cut from "Point Of Entry".

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    it's long been a favorite song of mine... if it turns out worth sharing, I'll post it :cool:

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Sweet.

Yep, don't think I've ever heard an ounce of flash from the man... but Priest wouldn't have sounded like Priest if he hadn't been doing what he was doing.

8. Steve Harris Is

Steve Harris Is

Jul 4, 2005
    Well sure he's no Stevey H. but Preist music wasn't written around the bass playing essestially, like Maiden always seemed to be.

I have seen JP, hell, maybe 8-9 times at least and even today they never fail to disappoint. Lately I have been really digging "Steeler" and "Saints In Hell" but other favorites are:

Hot Rockin
    Riding on the Wind
    Sinner
    Love Bites
    Victim of Changes
    Desert Plains
    Metal Gods

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Steve Harris Is?

That's very Zen... maybe.

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    WHOA! Ian Hill use to be good! Well.. he still is good... but Judas Priest use to give him room!!! Has anyone heard the Priest album "Hero Hero?" It was pre 80s... Priest use to do some sweet riff rock instead of chug chug 8th notes!

I found out from my band... they listed Judas Priest as an influence on their page and I was like... I don't know dude, I'm not getting a Screaming for Vengance vibe off this... they were like, no... before all that ****. Then they burned me a copy of Hero Hero. It's not phenomenal, but it's still pretty sweet. Totally different. Also has a lot of pretty ballad numbers. We're going to cover "Winter" which has a heavy groove and fits our style.... you heard me HEAVY GROOVE! From PRIEST! Seriously, check out the Hero Hero album. It's very surprising!

11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    yeah, the early stuff was mixed nice and heavy on the bass.

Screamin' was the last disc I dug... I have bought and continued to see the shows through Painkillers. When I replaced my cassettes with CD.... I stopped @ Screamin'

Do you have "Unleashed in the East"? that is a great sample of the early hits. I just put "Sad Wings of Destiny" on :bassist:

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Not yet, I'm just begining my career as someone who realizes Judas Priest isn't a joke. Seriously, I use to put on the song Breakin the Law just so I could laugh my ass off. But they've got some good tunes fo sho.

How's this working out? Any progress?

13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    I've got most the main guitar line and the start of some programmed drums down in Sonar to jam to... I've been tooling with the melody a bit.

Yeah that is a rough tune to not bust out laughing in.... we use to do "Grinder" all the time. All I could think about during the chorus was Rob in his kitchen building a sandwich only ot realise he finished up the boiled ham the night before....

"Grinder....chug chug chug... chug chug chugchugchug... looking for meat......
    Grinder....chug chug chug... chug chug chugchugchug....wants you to eat"

14. OiBass

OiBass

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus,OH
    We'd cover "Grinder" as well, but we changed the lyrics a bit
    to make it really be about making a hero sandwich-
    "Grinder...chug chug chug...chug chug chugchugchug...
    with extra cheese.....
    Grinder...hold the onions if you please..."

I wish I could remember all of the lyrics-
    we also did Motorheads "Iron Fist", changed to "Oven Mitt"-
    "You know me...Evil eye...You know me...Pizza Pie...."

15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i saw maiden open for priest on the killers/screaming for vengeance tour, and the differences between mr. hill and mr. harris could not have been more evident. i've always liked kk and glen, but priest just didn't have enough in the rhythm section to appeal to me. praising ian hill's playing is imo like praising the sole of your shoe. it "get's the job done".

personally i could never be satisfied with just "getting the job done" in anything i did. that's another way of praising mediocrity. mediocre folks get the job done, and that's it. that's mr. hill's playing imo. then again, in a sense, to me, it doesn't "get the job done" because it doesn't inspire or motivate me like a more aggressive rhythm section does, which is what i think metal is all about.

16. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Yeah I caught that show too... and I understand where you are coming from John. I dug Priest in the first 5 or so years I played... by that time I had gotten bored with the entire metal scene.

but still, I listen to it for the song, not often and it may be trying to hold on to my past... but it feels good to spin the old stuff here and there :bassist:

17. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    Are you sure is wasn't the Killers/Point of Entry tour? That's when I saw them together. Both albums were released in '81. Humble Pie was supposed to play too, but something happened to Steve Marriott, IIRC. I had never heard of Iron Maiden before then and went out and bought Killers the next day. I also caught the Screaming for Vengeance tour the following year with Krokus. There's a band I haven't thought about in awhile. They had the "Long Stick Goes Boom" song out at the time.

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Mr. Hill's playing on the early stuff was pretty good. Screaming for Vengance and onward, they chilled out the rhythm section for some reason. He was never hugely chops oriented or anything, but he'd throw in a cool bluesy lick or two. But then the 80s happened and destroyed music all together... :smug:

19. As a side note, Les Battersby from Corornation St was listening to Revolution the other day....

And then the Quo came on! :hyper:

20. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    James: You look sleepy in your new avatar...