1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ian Hill tone

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Iron Priest, May 2, 2006.

1. Hi everybody , I'm new here !

Well I have a question. Does anyone know what kind of strings I could use to get a Ian Hill (Judas Priest) type of tone ? I have a Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass. I know he used to play a Jazz bass in the 80's, but I have no idea what strings he used with it.

The problem is that I love his sound, but I also like tones like Sting (The Police years), Geddy Lee of course, Steve Harris, Tony Levin(Peter Gabriel) etc. So I have no idea what strings I should buy :confused: But right now I'm looking more into a Ian Hill type of sound.

Thx a lot for the help .

2. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Lol, Imean, does he really have a tone? He can barely be heard and honestly i think he plays the simples possible **** ever, but maybe its cos the songs ive heard. Besides his tone seems like a standard tone. But yeh he supports the song with a steady bassline. Im aware that i didnt help out at all. :)

3. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    I dont think the strings will help you that much, but maybe playing with a pick will. do you play with a pick?

4. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    I play alot of Priest in my metal tribute band. I tend to play Spectors (which he has played for the last 10 years or so). His tone is different on the newer stuff (especially Angel of Retribution - Spector w/ a very bright tone).
    Honestly, try some different sets over your next few purchases. Personally, I've been using Dean Markley Blue Steels for quite some time now. If you haven't tried any stainless steel sets yet, try that out. I think at that point, you'll be able to narrow down the right string for you pretty quickly. D'Addario XL's might also be a good choice (they come in nickel and stainless, so I think a set of each would help you pick). I do find the Blue Steels a little brighter than even the stainless XL's. Hope it helps, strings are so subjective.

5. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Feel free to PM me if you want to talk gear and playing metal. We cover everything from Maiden to Priest to Metallica to Sabbath, so I can probably offer some tips in the way of different gear, etc. for different metal.

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :rolleyes: maybe you don't know because you don't know

Ian can play some IMO. I started out in a Judas Priest cover band in the real early 80s...

We did stuff like this:

The Geddy it perfect because Ian's Jazz is a block inlayed 70s like the Geddy copies. Neck pickup with a pick (sometimes not) and I'd get some SIT power flats or D'addario Half-Rounds.

Seth Miller likes this.
  7. jbasso

jbasso

Mar 1, 2006
    Hugo, MN
    Maybe you didnt watch Rock Honors on vh1...

He can be heard alright

Seth Miller likes this.