Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez 405

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Fretless5verfan, Aug 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    I've decided to start learning how to do adjustments on my bass because a. im getting a new one soon and 2. i hate it:D i also want to get used to doing adjustment so i don't have to keep going to a tech. i have an Ibanez 405 and i want to to a truss rod adjustment to get the action right i took off the cover and there are the two rods, do i adjust just one or both of these?

2. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Why are you adjusting the truss rod? How do you know it even needs adjusting?

If you arbitrarily adjust the TR and it wasn't out of adjustment do you know how to put it back into proper adjustment?

Why do you "hate" it?

Sorry for answering your question with more questions but, for the life of me, I don't know why nearly everyone seems to have this overwhelming urge to turn the truss rod.

I would suggest doing a search and learning "why" should the TR be adjusted. The "how" will be evident after the search.

3. Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    I'm adjusting it because its needs adjustment. I know the truss rod needs adjustment because i showed it to a tech and he said "yea your right this needs to be adjusted"

it's not arbitrary, it's neccessary. and i won't want to put it back because it will just need adjustment again.

I hate it because it doesn't feel right to me. No matter how hard i try i can't get the tone of it i want and it doesnt stand up to the rest of the band in a mix. don't know why you care though...

You should be sorry for answering like that and i, for the life of me, don't know why people like you reply to a post like this assuming that the person knows nothing about the bass

I would suggest not replying to a post if you have nothing constructive to say, and you should also not reply in that manner if you don't know the whole story.:mad:

4. (insert cat snarl here)

5. Regarding what you said about your tone and the mix..........I may be something more than just your bass yourself. Fixing the action on your bass may help that problem a tiny bit but most likely it's what your running that's causing you to be overcast in the band.

Your tone can be certainly be hurt by a some crappy action, the buzzing that is amplified certainly doesn't bring many people to standing ovations.....:)

What your playing out of has a lot to with what molds your tone. Without the right rig you can't get the natural sound of the bass itself isolated and your left with fooling around with EQ's more than usual just to get decent sound.

What are you using and how many watts are you using? Do you know the decible rating from the speakers that are in your cabinets?

Anyway, thought I would say throw that in the mix
    -insighted

6. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    "You should be sorry for answering like that and i, for the life of me, don't know why people like you reply to a post like this assuming that the person knows nothing about the bass"

Well, excuse me, professor.

I suppose that it seemed that you were being talked down to was because you were!

First your whole unedited post looks like something from the pages of Hooked On Phonics. If you talk like an idiot, people tend to respond as if they are talking to an idiot.

I asked the questions because your original post was very unclear as to what you were trying to accomplish. Try not using run together sentences without punctuation.

But, to answer the question "What do I do with my Ibanez truss rod?"

I think you understand what you can do with it!

7. Pkr2 doesn't really need me to defend him but I'm gonna do it anyway...too bad you decided to take this tack with him because I have never heard him to be off the mark in any way. You would have done well to understand his post and respond as if someone had a bit more knowledge than yourself. As far as "not knowing the whole story" - that's your job. If you want help and don't tell all there is to the "story" don't get yer panties in a wad if we only respond to what we know of the "story". And, if you reread his post, he was asking for MORE of the "story". He shouldn't have had to do that now should he?

Right now your working with only about half of the information needed to determine what needs to be done to make your action correct. Adjustment of the TR isn't the only thing that can affect the action. So, if your tech says that it (they) need adjustment, why don't you ask your tech why and how to do it. Seems like the most expedient way. He's sitting there looking at it and knows your history so he's more qualified than we are simply from the fact that we can't see what he's seeing.

For any of us to help, there are a few more questions that need to be answered, like:

1. Has the bass ever been to your liking?
    2. Has the action just recently gone south?
    3. What was the general action height - high, low?
    4. Have there been any modifications to the bass?
    5. Have you changed string brands or gauges before noticing the poor playability?
    6. Can you make a judgement about whether the need for a TR adjustment is from weather related sources or simply a matter of time and stress?
    7. Has the TR ever been adjusted at all?
    8. When and how often have you needed to adjust it in the past?

That should do it for now. Get these squared away and we can likely point you in the right direction.

And lets get another thing ironed out now. Your action - or at least the change expected from a TR adjustment alone - has little or nothing to do with how your bass sounds in the mix with your bandmates. This assumption alone points out the need for you to do a bit more research on your own to learn how the different mechanical and electronic systems work together. So what would make the "tone" better? You can look at pup selection, string selection, EQ setting, amp settings, cabinet size, cabinet selection, or heaven forbid your own hands! Insighted02 was right on with his assessment. There's a lot to this.

Finally, please understand that those of us that offer help here do it of our own volition. We aren't paid, we don't get thanked, and we are mostly very careful to make sure that what we offer is correct and useful. Pkr2 asked his questions because they related directly to the most commonly misunderstood and misapplied aspects of setup. If we were to just say to you "Just turn it until you can't anymore" you might have taken that as gospel (since you know little of the subject at hand) and a disaster would have ensued. You should be thankful we didn't. I know Pkr2, as well as Merlin, Tufnuts, Chasarms, Alaskabass as well as myself and others take the role we have here very seriously. We don't want things to go wrong because this reflects on us and the forum. I think we do a pretty good job here to provide good information for a wide variety of subjects that are out of the league of many of the posters. Think about this the next time you have a question - Why am I asking them? Do I believe that they have the expertise and experience to help me or am I better off seeking advice from someone else?

8. Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    PKr2-you're excused. keep your insults and inappropriate gestures to yourself in the future please:p and sorry about the bad grammar. after all it was around 3am when i did the post so it looked fine at the time haha. and the question at the start was very clear. "do i adjust one or both of the rods?" fairly simple, yes?

Insight02-thanks for the suggestions. Sorry i should've been more specific, i meant in an actual mixdown. After we record stuff and mix it down the bass doesnt really sound out unless we eq the hell out of it before hand. And i know that it isn't just the bass:)

Hamobone-I never asked anything about action, nor did i say that i wanted you guys to tell me what to do to make the bass sound better in the mix or change the tone. I'm already well aware of what to do in that department. And about the tech...I did ask him, but he is an a$$ and wouldn't tell me what i needed to do because he wasn't a "teacher".(which is why i'm trying to learn on my own).

Finally, apparently this wasn't the right place to come for the small piece of information i needed. so i'll just get it from somewhere else.

9. Oh, well in that case...

Just turn both of the trussrods until they won't turn anymore.

:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.