Ibanez 506 opinions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stinkoman20xx, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    I played an Ibanez 505 and Loved it suprisingly. Has anybody have any experince with the 506 or 500 series. The new ones with the 5 peice wenge/bubinga necks and mahogany bodys?
  2. i just recently purchased a 505 and i love playing it....i havent played in 2 tears and my last bass was a 4 string so it took a little getting used to! But it sounded so much better then the warick rockbass i wanted to get....sigh....maybe one day ill be able to afford a thumb!
  3. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    I've got an SR500, it's a beautiful bass, sounds great, very lighweight, perfect balance, very easy to play. Great bass for the price, though I can't comment on the 506 or its B string (most SR's have pretty bad B's)
  4. Charr

May 14, 2004
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    i have a 1005, and thats a real beauty, and it handles well (except for some moderate string buzz) - the B string is tight and crisp, and you can get allmost any tone out of it.

i know its not what you asked, but hopefully it can give you a little input on Ibanez i general :)
  5. Unfortunately, I've only ever played an SR505. I liked it, though! :p A guy I know who owns a SR506 loves his to death.
  6. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I briefly tried out a 506 at a Guitar Center. It was set up very well and the B-string was pretty nice. It was no Dingwall or Roscoe B, but it wasn't complete mud either. The neck was nice and slim, though the fingerboard was a tad wide for my tastes (2.125" at the nut, 3.25" at the last fret) but other 6-strings like the Peavey Fury have the same kind of neck width.

If you're looking for a 6-string on a budget, the 506 is definitely one to consider, along with the Peavey Fury (another nice budget 6 I've played.) I'd recommend the Samick Fairlane 6 but ONLY if you want super-tight string spacing on a super-narrow neck (2" at the nut, 3.1" at the last fret).

I only mention those basses since I've actually played them.
  7. 'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    I played one and wanted one so badly for a while.
    After playing a Warwick Streamer for a while and going back to play it again, it felt like a toy.

Still a great bass and value for the cash, although I'd rather put that cash towards a BTB. If light weight is what you're looking for, I think that applies to most Ibanezes (BTB excluded) but the problem there is you get no "growl", although you can get some nice crisp and warm tones from the passive Barts on that thing.

BTW - if you do get one, lowest price I've ever seen is 570ish new and 600 seems to be the average new price at places that carry it.
  8. Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Thanks for all the replies. Yeah 600 seem about the going rate. I cant decide if I want the ibanez or the fender geddy lee. Two diffrent basses but Im realy wanting a 6 but something that will cut im wondering if that ibanez will have enough to cut as i always found that a problem with alot of ibanezs.
  9. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I loved the 400 series and these are nothing but improvements. I'm gassin for a sixer.