Ibanez 506

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by InternetAlias, Aug 7, 2018.

1. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Somewhere
    I am looking into this bass, sold my fender so I got some money lying around, want to try a sixer again (I previously noodled on the one owned by a friend, so I could not invest into fixing it up and he didn't want it fixed, so I never really played a good sixer for extended periods of time).

Is anyone playing this one, how does it feel? I have never played a 506, but I did play a 500 and it felt great. How's the string spacing? It's my main source of concern. I'm sure it'll sound great.

Would be able to make my own conclusions when I try it out in a week or so.

2. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    You have to try for yourself. Nobody here can tell you how the bass will sound and feel for YOU.

From my own experience, I can at least tell you that the Ibanez SR 4- and 5-strings feel completely different than the SR506. The fretboard of the 6er is of course wider, but also much flatter. String spacing is 16,5 mm afaik.

Since you are looking at this particular bass, I strongly recommend to also check out the Cort Artisan A6 if you have the chance.

3. IronSpatula

IronSpatula Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2003
    Northern CA
    They're great entry-level sixes. Generally very good playability. The tone is nothing special IMO but it gets the job done.

4. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Are buying a new one or used?

One thing you might need to consider with SR506 is the rather weak quality of its finish for the Brown Mahogany ones. There are many posts showing SR500 series with scratched / eroded finish. For this reason, consider stepping up to the latest SR876 if you have the additional budget. Moreover, not only the SR876 has better finish (and better look, due to the additional flamed maple & walnut top on the body), it also has latest Bartolini BH2 pickups which were designed by Bill Bartolini and Top Ibanez Engineers specifically for Ibanez. Not like the SR500 MK1 pickups which are used by several other brands and have received so many mixed reviews, the BH2 are generally accepted as great sounding pickups.

Regarding the string spacing, 16.5 mm might seem tight if you've just came from 19 mm 4 stringer. But since you will have to adapt yourself with the 6er, you might as well be familiar with the 16.5 mm string spacing. And actually, if you don't consider string spacing as problem, you can easily adapt yourself to different string spacings. I play 19 mm 5er for my main goto bass and I'm perfectly fine with 16.5 mm, 16 mm, 15.5 mm, and 10.8 mm spacing when I need to switch to my other basses.

InternetAlias likes this.
  5. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Somewhere
    ^I appreciate the sentiment, but I live in Serbia, where a brand new GSR205 still comes with single coils. The guitars sold in this country are always (sometimes several) generations old, and it's really apparent with Ibanez.

I'll be trying it out and buying it used from the guy if I like it enough. I know the finish is problematic, but it is really not something I particularly care about so that should be fine.

Also, good point about string spacing. Learning to adapt to new spacings might actually open some more doors as well, I shouldn't really stick to this 18-19mm spacing if I plan on playing a wide variety of guitars in first place.

6. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Somewhere
    Alright so I spent a whole day tinkering with it, I set the action to my taste, and the fret job it got made it rather playable.

Neck feels nice despite being pretty wide. But I feel like this bass just doesn't sound the way I want to sound so I am not going to get it as I do not plan to buy a bass just to swap out pickups. It isn't even that cheap since used gear is super expensive here.

Over the course of a day I got the hang of the tight spacing, and I could probably manage it over time even better so for now on I will exclude the "tight spacing" from my no go list, I can do just fine.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021