Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez 515-E reviews please.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deiseldave2001, Jan 13, 2004.

1. I've played the cheaper BTB's with the Ibanez electronics, and like the feel. Soundwise the electronics were pretty good, but I wonder what the 515-E with Bartolinis sounds like. Thanks.
    Dave

2. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    I believe it would compare also to the BTB 1005 model, same electronics I think, just premium finish/woods.

You look at BGRA.net?

3. Yeah, I checked that out. Have you played either ?

4. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    I've only played the BTB405QM and have one due in to me tomorrow :D

I haven't played any Bart equipped BTB's to be able to give you a comparison.

5. I went ahead and ordered the BTB515-E based on gut. I like Barts, and played the non-Bart model and liked the feel of that. I'll let you know my feelings on th 515-e.

6. Got it, and love it. Very sweet tone, well crafted. I am going to put the Neutrik locking jack in all my basses.

7. I'm looking for a good fretted 5, and I've been thinking about one of these. I haven't played a BTB in about 2 years, but I remember the low end ones were very nice, and the 515 and 1005 were true sleepers. I remember getting a pretty good P-bass tone out of the neck pup. BTBs have one of the best B strings around. The 3 way midrange switch is a nice touch.

Good luck with her.

Mike

8. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    Woo-hoo! Glad to hear it! BTW, have you seen the new Kingston yet?

9. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    JazzX, I got it and already decided to part with it. I have found that I am pretty sensitive to nut width. i realized that my favorite 5 strings have a 1 3/4" nut width. Another thing, I dig simplicity. Give me one good sound to start with, add a tone pot, and I'm happy. I think I favor passive instruments for that reason.

The Ibanez just has too many options for tone. I know that sounds weird, but maybe I'm lazy, I just want minimal tweaking to dial up and/or change from growly to warm.
    Too many knobs are intimidating. i'm not a tweak freak. My buddy's SM900 scares me too.

I re-strung my Kingston and brought it back to church to play this morning and fell in love with it again. I went home and posted the BTB for sale.
    Sad but true. I thought the Ibanex was going to be one of my last bass purchases for a while. The SRX 5 string does have a narrower nut. Might look into that. I believe it's passive too.

I will give serious consideration to the new Kingston/Heir. they look so good without the pickguard.

10. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    Well, that's too bad. I considered the SRX505 also, but I like the string spacing wide.

11. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    The SRX is still 3/4" at the bridge, it's just a little closer at the nut.
    i always thought people were talking bridge spacing when speaking about spacing in general. Now I just don't know. Maybe I should post a thread asking what spacing means to most people.

To keep the thread from completely being highjacked,
    I'll say the BTB's are good if you like them. (my grampa's wisdom)

12. i've played both the 405QM and 515e, and to me there is no comparison. the 515e is an incredible bass that i love very much.

what i liked the least about the 405QM was that it had a generally "plasticky" feel. it felt like the finish was on the basswood body so thick to make the thing feel more substantial. i didn't like the vari-mid EQ, either -- i thought a small turn of the knobs made too drastic a change. it sounded nice enough with everything centered, but there were no useful changes after that.

the 515e, however, is a much better instrument. i found a lot of great tones with "all three" pickup configurations. i really like the smooth sound of the bridge pickup. i got great P tones and other thicker sounds from the neck pickup. everything sounded great with both pickups, and i was able to blend them for some great sounds. the EQ was very well voiced and easy to use.

the solid mahogany body with oil finish felt much more comfortable, solid, and quality than the 405QM. it felt like a good bass instead of a "good for the money" bass.

for $959 brand new, i was very impressed. i am thinking i can save hundreds of dollars buying one of these instead of a sterling, which has been my object of GAS for a long time.

i'm a fan of the BTB series -- i have also enjoyed the 300bg quite a bit. congratulations on your new 515e. when someone wants to sell a 510, let me know.

robb.

13. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I recently got a 510....LOVE it! Just one thing though....I read somewhere that there was 2 models made...one with the Barts, the 510 E...and one without, the 510. Any info on this??? I was under the impression I got the one with the Barts...please excuse my ignorance...just started playing a year ago.

14. The ones without Bartolinis (the kind i have) were made in 1999 i think. The have the mid selector as a knob thing that kinda looks like a nipple. and the pickups say "ibanez" on them

the ones with barts have a mid selector as a switch that selects three diff. frequencies. these were made after the first ones.

mine sounds great

15. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Yeah after some research with where i biught the guitar...they ran the serial number at Hoshino and found it is a non bart model.......So how much of a difference would there be between the two???