Ibanez 6?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RETSAMPALS, Nov 11, 2000.

Sep 10, 2000
    well due to the negative feedback i got when i mentioned Jay Turser, i'm thinking about a six-string...
    yeah yeah i've read the posts about ibanez being crappy and great....hmmm a strange controversy.
    anyways, the electronics don't matter to me cuz i'll replace them w/ bartolinis.
    so what do you think...should i get the Ibanez SR406 or the Cort Curbow 6?
    I HAVE SMALL HANDS!!! *looks down at the ground in shame*
    which do you think is better for small hands...or am i just dreaming and condemned to four and five stringers?
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Ibanez 406 is a solid bass, with Barts, it would be pretty darned good. The string spacing may be a bit tight for you, be sure and play one first, if you can.

The Cort Curbow has a little wider spacing, the 3 things to know about this baby is

1. That the only wood in the thing is the neck. The body is luthite, a plastic like composite material that is also used in the Ibanez Ergodyne series. The fingerboard is made of ebanol, a synthetic material that was designed to be tonally similar to ebony.

2. It has a scarf headstock/neck joint, which I have personally known 1 person and have heard on the board of a couple of others who had a problem with either the neck breaking there or separating there.

3. Due to the strange body shape, it doesn't balance very well. If you like everything else about the bass, you might could get used to this.

The neat thing about this bass is that it has a Bartolini soapbar pickup, so you wouldn't have to worry about replacing the pickup, unless you don't like Barts. I do like them, they are among the best sounding, IMHO.

The question is what kind of preamp does it have? Probably a Mighty Mite, in which case you would probably want to upgrade to a Bart preamp when you could afford it. The problem with finding out about the preamp, is that there is no information about this bass anywhere on the internet, that I can find. You can find info on the 4 and 5, which both have Mighty Mite pickup AND preamp, but nothing on the 6 string version. Go figure!

Anyway, this bass probably has the closest to high end sound of any 6 under $1000, and if I didn't already have an Ibanez 506 that I am putting EMG pickups and preamp in, and a severe case of GAS for a Cort Conklin GT7 as my next extended range monster, I would probably get one.

Sep 10, 2000
    thanks a lot embellisher
    well i've tried a SR645...5 string and i love the string spacing. they fit my hands much better than any other five-string i've tried (especially Tobias growler w/ that weird asymetrical neck which hinders me rather than helps!)
    so i'm hoping the string spacing will be similar. as i've said before i have pretty small hands due to 9 years of violin(grr) so i'm not sure if i can handle the Cort...

Sep 10, 2000
    oh and what model of EMG pickups are you putting in you SR506?
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

More than likely I will put in the EMG-45DCs, because of the fact that they are a drop in more than anything else. Don't want to go carving the thing up, that way if I don't like the way it sounds, I can put the stock electronics back in and just sell it.

I was going to just replace the preamp, but the BQC system, which has a semi parametric mid, is only usable with EMG pickups, so since that is the preamp that I want, I'll have to make the full conversion.

The bass is great, although I wish the spacing was more like my Jazz or my Pedulla, but the tone is lifeless. The neck is straight, and no bad deadspots, bass sounds good acoustically, so I figure some good electronics will bring out that acoustic tone.

If this works out, this bass will be left at church, which means it will be my main bass on 50% of my playing, with the Pedulla and Fender sharing duties on my gigs.
  6. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I had an Ibanez SR506 with was a good bass, with nice action and blah blah blah...
    I have a Cort Curbow 6 String now.
    I have small hands, my longest finger is almost 3' and my pinky is 2.5' and find the Cort Curbow very comfortable to play. (Im used to 6 string right now)

The Bartolini Pickup is great, sounds huge and it has a very hot output too. The preamp is good and I have not thought about replacing it. The sound is a lot better than the Ibanez SR406, SR506, and 1306.
    Also.. You can get a Cort Curbow for less than a Ibanez, because of the low demand they have.

Lets see. If you want an Ibanez and want to change pickups , you will end expending a lot of money that you could invest buying a Cort Curbow 6 and a Cort Curbow 5 Fretless.

[Edited by lfabara on 11-12-2000 at 09:16 AM]
  7. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    You have a THREE FOOT MIDDLE FINGER!? :eek:

I can't miss an opportunity to be picky... :)
  8. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    The Aria 6-string basses seem (from looking at the photos) to have a narrow string spacing at the nut but a wider spacing at the bridge, which may be EXACTLY what a slapper with small hands needs.

NO idea about price or sources. And they must be owned by someone else because they don't come up on web searches.
  9. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Sorry... A 3" and 2.5"
    The 3' in my body belongs elsewhere...
    Normally I would use Metric Measures. I live in South America.. we use Centimeters, meters, etc.
  10. Juli

Oct 15, 2000
    i'm a girl and i probubly have even smaller hands than anyone, and i am able to play the bass, what i figured out is if you bring your elbow out farther like when you play a violin( if you don't understand, e mail me and i'll explain it better) and bend your rist a little more it helps to reach the strings better. it might be uncomfortible for a while but you get used to it. i only play a 4 string bass, so that might help you with the 6 string. if you ever get frustrated playing your bass, just remember there is a girl out there who has even smaller hands than you.
  11. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I just recently bought an Ibanez Sr406 a few days ago, The electronics in it do lack in tone quality compared to alot out there but those Bartolini's should soup it up quite nicely. For a 6 string the neck is incredibly slim and easy to play, it has a narrower string spacing witch is good if you have small hands, *I do too so dont hang your head* I have'nt played a Cort Curbow 6 but I will admit I sterotype Cort as being for lack of better word "cheap" bass, they did'nt have a good reputation when I 1st started to play back in the 80's. I am also old fashioned and just think bass guitars should be made of wood. BTW the 406 I just bought is for sale, I have'nt even played it since I bought it, If you choose the Sr406 maybe we can work out a deal.
  12. noweapon

Feb 10, 2000
    I've had my SR406 for about 2 years now and I thinks its great. A fast, Thin strong neck. It came stock with Mighty Mites..which are good, but I would rather have EMG's. It's a good solid no nonsense bass. I originaly bought it as a "cheap" introduction into 6 string playing, with plans to replace it with something better down the road. I've grown rather attached to it though...the neck really spoils you. I cant think of any other 6 with a neck that thin! Its got good tonal options also. I dont think I'll ever replace this bass as my main axe. The only Mods I'll probably ever do to it is paint it colors on it (its jet black) and switch out the pickups for EMG's

Sep 10, 2000
    Thanks a lot for all your comments
    hehe especially to those small fingered people out there
    to Juli: yeah i have small hands and i play violin so i'll try doing that thing that you suggested. yeah everything beyond 7th position is b@tch! hehe...hey i wonder if there are any other violinists here

and to cass: how much are you selling the SR406 for?