1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez 650, Yamaha 734A, Warwick Rockbass, or Spector Legend?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JeffJ2112, Feb 16, 2018.

1. JeffJ2112

JeffJ2112

Apr 17, 2016
    Nowhere Indiana
    In the next week or two, I'm getting a new mid-level bass. I've narrowed it down to the four of these. Which one would you choose and why? I keep going back and forth on them all. I know they are all very different, but I do like the sounds of them all.

2. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    I would go either Spector Legend or the Ibanez 650 depending on price, tone, feel, etc. I had a Warwick Rockbass Streamer and although I loved the looks of it, I didn't care for the tone at all. Never tried the Yamaha so can't give an opinion on that one.

JeffJ2112 likes this.
  3. Depends on what your goals are tone wise. I personally do have both a Spector NS2000/4 and a Warwick RB Corvette 6...and love them, but the Ibby and the Yamaha are wonderful as well, so it depends on what you're trying to get out of your setup. I'll go out on a limb and say the the Ibby and Yamaha will be more versatile overall, but the Warwick and the Spector will have a more distinctive sound.

JeffJ2112 likes this.
  4. JeffJ2112

JeffJ2112

Apr 17, 2016
    Nowhere Indiana
    My problem is I can see using all the sounds I could get out of these basses. I mostly play rock, but I do delve into fusion and jazz as well. That doesn't make the decision any easier of course, lol.

5. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Don't know which Rock bass model you're referring to, but the other basses you have on your list are PJ. I'm assuming you're referring to the Spector with the PJ. Good choice on the pick ups for versatility. I play rock, fusion, funk, jazz and alternative and find this pickup configuration probably the best. I have a MM and models with two humbuckers which are great but if you want to talk about versatility, PJs are great.
    Now which model and make is a matter of preference, if anything the Ibanez has Nordsrand pickups and the jatoba/bubinga neck which feels terrific. So while all your choices are good, I would personally pick the Ibby for those reasons.

JeffJ2112 likes this.
  6. JeffJ2112

JeffJ2112

Apr 17, 2016
    Nowhere Indiana
    The Rockbass I'm thinking of is with the two single coils, active, the Corvette. The Spector Legend I'm looking at is the bolt on with the two humbuckers.

7. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Ah....I used to own a Rockbass Corvette with the two single coils - nice bass but ended up trading it a while back- good if you're going for a jazz bass kind of sound - it does sound a little on the thin side but it does have a nice punchy tone.
    I also used to own a Spector Performer with 2 humbuckers , not the same as the Legend but probably similar-that one was pretty good but I ended up not using it all that much and also ended up trading it. I know there's a Legend model with PJ Pickups which in retrospect might have been a better choice for me.
    I would probably recommend going with either the Ibanez or the Yamaha. The P bass pickups on these would lend itself to a better sound for jazz and classic rock songs.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    JeffJ2112 likes this.
  8. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    are you not going to be able to try any of these basses in person?

i love the RB corvette with the 2 humbuckers myself, but i like the ibanez a lot, too.

JeffJ2112 likes this.
  9. JeffJ2112

JeffJ2112

Apr 17, 2016
    Nowhere Indiana
    I've tried them all, they all play differently, but very nicely. Right now I'm leaning towards the Ibby SR, but that could change in the next minute or two, lol. They all seem to be good basses.

10. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    did you find one more comfortable than the others or more versatile tonally?

the ibanez is a very good choice imo.

11. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    I have to say that the best of that list is without any doubt the Yamaha BB734a.
    It's an amazing bass with a lot of the same specs as the upper model P34 and it has active eq as well.
    You can't go wrong with the Yamaha.

JeffJ2112 likes this.
  12. JeffJ2112

JeffJ2112

Apr 17, 2016
    Nowhere Indiana
    Well, tomorrow or the next day I'm going to go pick one of them up. Looks like it'll be the Yamaha. It might change, but this is seeming like the most versatile of the bunch.