1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez a good bass mark??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pipogpop, Apr 29, 2010.

1. pipogpop

pipogpop

Jan 26, 2010
    Denmark
    Hey Guys

I have a question for you :)

Is Ibanez a good bass mark? and will you recomment it? :D

2. I would definitely recommend the starter basses. I haven'tplayed the high level type basses, but i started with an Ibanez GSR200 and it played for 3 awesome years until the pickups rusted out (Hawaii is very humid). I still practice with it, but i don't gig it like i used to. Definitely one of the most versatile starter basses I've played on.

3. pipogpop

pipogpop

Jan 26, 2010
    Denmark
    Okay cool :) but do you know about the Ibanez SRX300 is it a bass for beginners or at a higher level?

4. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Be aware that Ibanez makes every level of bass, from the cheapest toy to very premium "boutique" instruments, and every step in between. So Ibanez can be a very good brand, but they make some crap too. :)

5. I love how you added that happy face in there. :)

6. Essen

Essen Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Norway
    I will definately recommend Ibanez. Their cheapest basses are crappy IMO, but so are everyone elses. But once you get above 400-500 $ or so, Ibanez basses are extremely good for the price.

7. Hej! The SRX300 would be an entry level bass, but generally I think most of the Ibanez basses I've tried (I own one still)have been well built and covered a lot of ground soundwise considered the price. So if you find one that feels and sounds good to you, you can't really go all that wrong quality-wise.

PS: I just saw there's an almost new at a good price on dba.dk as we speak...

8. pipogpop

pipogpop

Jan 26, 2010
    Denmark
    but what Ibanez model would you recomment? thombas :)

9. I have absolutely no idea - I'd recommend getting a bass you think feels and sounds good to you, as disregard what it says on the headstock ;) I just happened to end up with my Ibanez because my hands wouldn't let go of it when I played it in a store in Canada 6 years ago. But is you feel it HAS to say Ibanez on it, I'm just saying that you'll probably get a good bang for the buck when it comes to construction and quality. But the sound and feel YOU like have got to be there first.

10. Labi

Labi

Jun 14, 2006
    I've played and owned Ibanez ATK and recommend it with all my heart :hyper: You'll be amazed.

11. dumelow

dumelow

Feb 8, 2006
    England
    ive owned an SR700 (discontinued now) for about 4 years, bought it for £550, absolutely love it, they have awesomely fast necks. I would be very tempted to get a higher end SR model for my next bass

12. I played an ATK briefly once, and as I recall it, that would actually go well with your addiction to the Chillies :bassist:

13. pipogpop

pipogpop

Jan 26, 2010
    Denmark
    okay what kind of atk do you refer to?

14. Hmm, it's some time ago, so I don't remember the model no. - it was an ash body and maple neck & fretboard, and a single humbucker. A nice fast attack and a tight overall sound. A sweet slapper too :hyper: Reminded me of a Stingray.

Maybe Labi could chime in here with models 'n' stuff?

15. lhoward

lhoward

Apr 27, 2003
    Western NY State
    I've bought a number of Ibanez basses. One model Ibanez seems to keep consistently is the SR300DX. I bought one new about 6 years ago. I wound up swapping out the stock pickups for EMG PJ (the active pu), not because I didn't like the Ibanez pickups, but because I wanted to try the EMG's on that bass. I haven't switched back. I have a pretty low action with TI Super Alloy strings. The bass has a great sound and is very easy to play. I picked up an SR305DX to try and although its an SR3XXDX bass, its a very different bass in feel and weight compared to the SR300DX, which is a fairly light bass.

Some Ibanez models seem to come and go in a very short period of time. I bought a SR645DX about 5 years ago and I think it was in production for about a year or less. I also have a BTB455 that I bought used and although it had a couple issues (buyer beware), I took care of those and absolutely love the instrument. Particularly that its a 35 inch scale, which helps definition on the "B" string and the wide string spacing (more like a 4-string spacing) is more to my liking. I use Everly B52 strings on it.

Lloyd Howard

16. Essen

Essen Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Norway
    That would be an atk300, but it doesn't really matter which atk you buy, they're all based on the same model, it's mostly just different paint jobs or fretboards.

17. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    The SR / SRX / ATK lines are very honest. Pickup whichever one you can afford and feels and sound good.

imo, SR300, SR500, ATK300, BTB300FM are the pick of the bunch, for low cost but decent basses. Dunno much about the SRX, but they should pretty much fall in line with the rest.

18. Labi

Labi

Jun 14, 2006
    ATK 300 and 305 are basic model with 300 being a four string and the 305 being a fiver. There are also other models, but as Essen pointed out, they are all based on the same model. Another thing is that the earlier model were made in Japan while the later ones come from Korea and Indonesia. I've also read (here on TB) that there are also USATK models made in the US but I can't confirm this. They are all active. Mine was a natural finish ATK300 which I loved until one day a friend of mine borrowed it for a recording session. The next day he called me to tell me that he is never returning it back and is ready to pay any price for it. I wasn't willing to sell it but the guy was dead serious. So i took advantage of the situation and sold it to him for the retail price with the idea of a getting another one. Which I sadly didn't and spent the money on a Hofner Icon.

19. :eek::rollno::rollno::rollno::D

20. Essen

Essen Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Norway
    You went from an atk to a hofner? I'm impressed!