1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ibanez afb/agb Acoustic

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sielski, Feb 25, 2008.

1. sielski

sielski

Feb 21, 2008
    prob a stupid question , but can these 2 be played in an Acoustic setting ?? Just to play with a guitar .

2. The AGB likely doesn't have a whole lot of volume unamplified, most semis don't.

The AFB... maybe if it's really low volume? That thing looks chunky by EB standards, but it looks like a pretty small box compared to most real acoustic basses I have seen.

3. YCBass

YCBass Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    Not in my opinion... I have the older AGB140 w/ flats on and that doesn't project too much unplugged, plus even if it was somehow loud enough the bottom end is going to be tough to hear so that's no fun - this is my opinion on most semi-hollows and acoustics.

4. I also have an AGB-140 with flats & I agree with you 100%. The AGB and AFB basses were designed to be electric basses and do not generate anywhere near enough volume to be used as acoustic instruments no matter what strings are used.

5. sielski

sielski

Feb 21, 2008
    ty all
    still gonna get the AGB200 , my friends will just have to wait or give me an accoustic one for my birthday .

6. Just out of curiousity, are you talking about on an actual acoustic gig or in more of an informal practice/impromptu/collaborative writing situation. Because I'm thinking that the AFB200 (which is a full hollowbody) might work ok for something like the latter. Of course that would only make a difference if you like the amplified tone of that type of bass...

7. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    FYI I tried out a few Ibanez ABG's at a local shop very recently, and was shocked by how quiet they were, even with bright strings. Seriously they were no louder than my solidbody jazz unplugged.

8. But they do have a nice "hollow" tone, which might work if you run through a small amplifier.