Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez afr basses.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jcburn, Oct 11, 2003.

1. Just wondering if anyone out there has owned or does own an Ibanez afr105 or 104.These rare birds were only made for about one year and I collect them but they are very hard to find.Anyone also with any opinions on these basses?

2. LordHar

LordHar

Mar 31, 2003
    I own a 4 string version (didn't know that there also was a 5 stringer) and love it.Both it's playability and diverse sound combo's are great!

Cheers,
    Harry.

3. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    Man, I love these basses, but unfortunately, if they are hard to find there, here they are impossible to find.

Do you have any other pics of them???

4. Other than the pic I had on my last post here is the best pic Ive found from a website called bluehorizon.com of a five stringer.If anyone reading these posts has a five or a four string and want to sell one can you either let me know by posting or contact me on my email.Also looking for Jackson futura 4 and five strings(yes the Kip Winger model!)

5. wow... I wonder how many they made..

I'm a fan of Ibanez basses.. I like the EDA series but they look much better in wood.. I wish they had made more of'em..

6. I agree, Luis, they do look nice made out of wood. They sound great too!

The EDAs are very underrated basses. Check one out if you get a chance.

The AFRs were the forerunners of the EDAs, correct?

Mike

7. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    I just received number 20 today from the big brown truck :)! I got it for a killer price! This thing may just replace my Fender USA Jazz Deluxe 5-string.

Check her out...

8. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. GOOOOD!...

Where did you get it from?

10. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Got it from good ol' Ebay!

Man, it's in GREEEEEEAT condition, too. It's got a really good low B on it, full 3/4" string spacing... can't wait to put a spanking new set of strings on her!

It looks so much nicer in person, too. The woods are a little darker than in those pictures, and the body has this tiger-like striping going on. I'm quite happy so far.

11. Those are funky, definently funky. Any sound clips?

12. Hey slowburnaz - did you actually mean you had 20 ibanez affirmas!?
    Just as a coincidence when you won the affirma on ebay did you get an email from some loser offering to buy it off you if you didnt like it?Ha - that was me and the offer still stands.
    By the way I also own an eda905 and I think it sux compared to the affirma.Cheap Korean hogwash.

13. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    No, I don't have 20 Affirmas! lol The serial number is 0020, so I'm assuming it's the 20th one made. And yeah, I got an e-mail from you. I'm still checking it out... gotta take it to practice, etc, to really get a feel for it. I can only keep one bass because I've got my D. Huff bass coming pretty soon, so I'll either sell this or my Fender USA Jazz Deluxe 5 string.

I'll keep you posted.

Tyler: I'll get some sound clips up pretty soon.

14. Sweet, that thing looks like it's got one hell of a sweet sweet sound to make :)

15. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Here's a sample of what this thing sounds like, Treble flat, Bass boost about 20% on all tracks... a little tapping thing:

First, all piezo...

16. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    50/50 mix of Mag/Piezo

17. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Yeah, that's one bitchin lookin Ibanez.

18. Jcburn, I dissagree, i think that only the fiver EDA sucks. it's got a weird neck, and the string spacing at the bridges was weird, My 4 string is awesome.