1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez AG205 Artcore

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by aprod, Mar 19, 2013.

1. aprod

aprod

Mar 11, 2008
  2. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I haven't tried the 205 but I did try the 200 in that golden honey violin finish. A delight to play and a nice woody mid tone when picked, articulate when plucked. I really like that finish but it's exclusive to the 4 string. I'd love to know how a 30 inch scale B string feels. I'd imagine lots of flop.

3. NightCat

NightCat

Apr 4, 2013
    Oregon
    I've been considering this bass but I was wondering if it could be strung EADGC without changing the nut.
    I've never played a bass with a high C but I've been playing with some Americana/Folk musicians and having that C for chording seems like it could be handy.

I can't see the point of a low B on a short scale bass but to each their own.

~NC

4. iiipopes

iiipopes

May 4, 2009
    The odd scale length, 30.3, is the same as the 2nd fret of a standard 34 inch scale. I have a D'Addario Chromes 132 on my 5-er. So I tuned it down a full step and capo'ed it at the 2nd fret to get an idea of what it would sound and feel like.

The other EADG strings were fine. I'm thinking Chromes or Sadowsky's in 50-110 would be fine for the EADG.

But, the B string lost all definition and tone. The only B string I could imagine as working is something like a 140 or 145 D'Addario or CircleK, and then it would be so thick that it wouldn't have much overtone structure to give good tone.

And this is with a "mid" pickup. It would be especially bothersome for the neck pickup being right up against the neck and therefore really hollow and thumpy.

Now, if it had a 32 inch scale, which could be done simply by moving the bridge and tailpiece back the necessary 1.7 inches, lengthening the fretboard, and moving the pickups, it might get somewhere, because as I tuned my bass back up to pitch, I set it at a half-step flat so I could capo the 1st fret, which is 32 inches, to see what that does. It's still not perfect, but there was a noticable improvement of tone across the strings with just that half-step of extra tension. For that, a standard 45-105, or even 45-60-80-100 or 105, with a 135 or 140 B string, might actually work.

Finally, 15mm bridge saddle string spacing is just too narrow. It has to be at least 16 to be able to navigate properly.