Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

IBANEZ AGB140 'ARTCORE' Semi Acoustic Bass Guitar

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tomthedude, May 4, 2005.

1. tomthedude

tomthedude

Jun 8, 2004
    Scotland!
    I was thinking about buying a cheap semi acoustic bass, is the Artcore as good as people say it it? or would it be better to get a better quality bass?

Thanks

Tom

[​IMG]

2. That thing oozes with quality, at least the floor models I have played. Does not seem cheap at all, even though they sell for around $350. My only beef is with the MM style pup, completely inappropriate for that thing, IMO.

They should have a warmer single coil or something, to complement that natural acoustic warm qualities. It is much easier to make a warm bass sound aggressive than an aggressive bass sound warm.
    I played it unplugges for the first 15 minutes and plugged for only 5. That should tell you something.

It sure does feel good in the hands, for whatever that is worth. And I am not a 'Nez fan per se.

That said, I would go for it. I would mod mine with a different pup and gibson EB style tuners.

3. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    I bought one last week, but I returned it in 2 days. It was nothing about the quality or sound. It was the the way it felt on me. It was a bear to balance, and it just felt very uncomfortable on me.
    Oh yeah, I haggled GC down to $316 out the door. New in box. Thats called a "5 up" deal.
    Too bad I really felt uncomfortable with it.

4. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    i have the ASB...love it/hate it.
    love it because, with flats onnit, it sounds really woody and nice; wonderful for jazz. i went to GC for a fretless...didn't have any at the time...and wound up playing this most of the time i was there, so i bought it. it's also very light, which i like. if i stick a rag under the strings, by the bridge, i get a wicked pissah reggae sound.(am also considering defretting it sometime...we'll see.)
    i must add that the tone knob is next to useless, but that could be modded, if'n i were smarter. :p
    hate it because it doesn't sit well on me at all. i have to fight the damned thing to find a good position, sitting or standing. 'wobbly' is the best term i can come up with.
    closest i've come to comfy is either sitting, with bass in classical guitar position, or standing, with it off to the side and headstock pointing at audience, i.e. 'rock star offering his weenie'...neither of which i care for.
    having said that, i still love it more than hate it...i guess that's why a lot of players call their axe 'the wife'...:D

5. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    I agree, the body design does look like it will cause some balance problems. The strap button should be level with the twelth fret for best balance on most basses, and this is far from it.

6. tomthedude

tomthedude

Jun 8, 2004
    Scotland!
    Thanks for the comments guys, they are greatly appreciated.

Well I’m quite close to getting it. I love the tone of semi acoustic basses.

Ow yeah and i bought a bass magazine which includes an article about mod-ing but i really don't have a clue the most i have ever done is put a Great Britain sticker on my bass!

7. oyvind2305

oyvind2305

Dec 3, 2004
    Norway
    I have on of these too..Have had it for half a year or so now.
    I think the pickup works great if you have a tubey warm sound kinda amp. Tried it out on one blues gig and it filled the room nicely for me and sounded real good for that setting. Its easy to get the db-kinda walking feel of it. I agree about being uncomfortable standing up. I remember having an aching left shoulder after about an hour. But this is my backup anyway, I feel more comfortable playing my Jazz.

I have been thinking of a mod to it : a bridge piezo thats blendable to get even more woody sound of it. Anyone know of a kit that would fit a bridge like this?

8. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    I've thought about a piezo bride. too
    Do you have any suggestions on brands/types that will fit

9. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Ibanez makes a singlecut in brown and a doublecut in sumburst. I've played both kinds head to head, and every time the singlecut sounds better and I am able to get a warmer tone out of it. I'm not sure why, but I could never get the double cut to sound right to me ,but I love the single.

10. I just dont like the upper strap button position on either model, as it forces this dedicated Dunlop straplock user to have a dedicated strap for said instrument, sans locks. For this only reason have I not taken the plunge and bought what is otherwise a fine instrument for jammin' along with one's acoustic-guitar-toting friends, and doing the retro gigs. Thank goodness the rockabilly outfit I subbed for last fall got their upright guy back in line, or I'd have probably had to buy the single-cut version by now.

11. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    Its a great bass for the $$, I paid $316 out the door. But unfortunatly I took it back because I just couldn't get used to the balance of the thing. The strap position is just murder, and I didn't want to do any mods to it.
    It falls forward away from your body because of the strap position.

12. tomthedude

tomthedude

Jun 8, 2004
    Scotland!
    like when you are playing a gibson sg guitar?