1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez Announces the Release of the Nu Tube Screamer

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, Feb 13, 2018.

1. TalkBass

TalkBass News Poster

Mar 12, 2004
    New for 2018, Ibanez is pleased to announce the release of the Nu Tube Screamer. This pairing of Ibanez’s Tube Screamer with Korg’s Nutube technology, has produced an overdrive with exceptional dynamics, improved sensitivity, and natural tube-like compression. For those familiar with the conventional TS808, the added warmth and amp-like quality of the Nu Tube Screamer will be immediately apparent.

The Ibanez Nu Tube Screamer is the very first compact guitar effects pedals to incorporate a Nutube directly into its circuitry. The Nutube is a revolutionary new take on the preamp tube that will allow for next level possibilities in the world of electronics. A Nutube draws far less power than a traditional vacuum tube and has a much longer lifespan of 30,000 hours. It accomplishes all of this while providing the same warmth and dynamics of conventional tubes.

Beyond the incorporation of the Nutube, the Nu Tube Screamer includes several new features designed to vastly widen the pedal’s tonal potential. A “mix” control was included to allow for balancing the clean and overdriven signal. With the “Mix” control rolled totally counter-clockwise, only the dry signal will be present making the Nu Tube Screamer ideal for double duty as a clean boost. The unit can also be run with either 9 or 18V power; 18V allows for increased headroom and gain.

The development of the Nu Tube Screamer involved a year of close collaboration with Korg, as well as our Artists, in order to ensure we created something with new tonal dimensions that also stays true to Tube Screamer’s legacy.

Features
    Incorporates Korg Nutube Technology
    Drive, Tone, and Level Controls
    Mix Knob
    True Bypass
    Power Supply: One 9 Volt Battery or External DC 9 or 18 Volt AC Adaptor
    Made In Japan

NTS
    LIST: $357.13

NTS_C3_01_B.

NTS_C3_01_A. NTS_C3_01_B. NTS_C3_01_C. NTS_C3_01_D. NTS_C3_01_E. NTS_C3_01_F.

Stumbo and andruca like this.
  2. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    wonder if it's full voltage or just starved plate

3. Mili

Mili

Nov 14, 2015
    Earth
    Expensive and Useless.

4. If it's different I think it should be called something else and branded differently. So many amazing handmade point to point pedals in that price range, it would need to be seriously amazing to have my attention.

Mili likes this.
  5. Mili

Mili

Nov 14, 2015
    Earth
    In the best case scenario it sounds like a real tube (it doesn't). They say this technology is much safer and cheaper than real tubes but check the price. They found a solution for no problem.

willbassyeah, pcake and Bassbeater like this.
  6. Are tubes dangerous?

saabfender likes this.
  7. Mili

Mili

Nov 14, 2015
    Earth
    They say manufacturing process is not safe.!!!
    (I just watched an overview on Andertons youtube channel)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Bassbeater likes this.
  8. Maybe so. I'm not thinking about that tube danger too much honestly.
    I will say that as iconic as the TS was and is, I think there would be more interest in an accurate re-issue than this unit. I haven't heard it yet so I'll wait to place judgement, but if I'm paying that price, I'll probably go with real tubes or a handmade pedal.

Mili likes this.
  9. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    for the price of two you could buy a tube head, hmmm

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    Bassbeater, alesreaper9 and Mili like this.
  10. $250 street price which is high for distortion, but not crazy for a new tech pedal. In any event, I think The Dude might have a better reply for you.

Lots of speculative hate in here. Nutube is exciting tech, and it's been in development for a long time. It aims for the sound of a 12AX7 without the power requirement or heat. Check out the datasheet. It works like a tube even with the low current draw, and is based on very old tech that tinkerers have been messing with for a while. Even if it doesn't sound EXACTLY like a traditional tube, I bet it'll be a nice change from transistors.

It's probably starved at 9v, but full spec at 18v. The datasheet shows the anode voltage as 10v, but I don't know the power requirements of the whole pedal.

Even if this pedal isn't the end-all, you can expect to see more Nutube based products, and you're free to hate them all, but maybe try them first.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    gregmon79 and saabfender like this.
  11. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Phillipsburg, NJ
    Wonder if they'll put out a Bass version?

12. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    that's not possible. it needs about 200v to be actual voltage, this is starved plate unless there is a charge pump to crank up the voltage like EHX 12AY7 Mic Pre or something.

Mili likes this.
  13. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I like the looks of this!

14. The Nutube is not a traditional tube and has lower power requirements; that's the whole point of the device. The datasheet shows that it can operate from 5 to 80v, not 200-300v. I don't know the design of the pedal, but it might have step up circuitry similar to my EHX Hot Tubes (12AX7 version) which is not starved plate. All we know is that the Ibanez pedal can have an input of 9-18v, but we don't know if it has step-up circuitry, and with a lower voltage target to hit, it is not unreasonable to think they might be running full voltage for the Nutube, or close to it.

But maybe they wanted a starved plate design to achieve a specific sound. That wouldn't be a crime. Unless they release a schematic, we'll only be able to judge it with our ears.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    mbelue likes this.
  15. From what I've heard so far Nu Tube is kind of a dud sonically. Doesn't sound tubey to me. Maybe the technology needs more work to be viable. I like the idea, but the NU Tube sound is not living up to the hype or price IMO.

saabfender likes this.
  16. Drgonzonm

Drgonzonm

Sep 4, 2017
    American SW
    The tube is not a glass tube as most of us are use to.
    Look at the two green spots, just below the TUBE SCREAMER label, that is the twin triode tube. The green in the background is the anode, the grid and the cathode are almost invisible, because the wires are so fine.
    For those who are familiar with direct heated cathode tubes, the tube application is a direct heated cathode. Instead of a thorium-tungsten cathode, the cathode wire is coated with very fine diamonds. By design the cathode operates at cold temperatures relative to conventional tubes we are familiar with.
    No it is not a starved plate design, The closest I would say its a SS tube, with actual cathodes, grids and anodes.
    I recommend that for other information do a search for norg's nutube. If my memory serves me correctly, the technology is related to the displays found on your microwave, and washer. If you wanted to buy the tube, its street price is probably about $50.00.
    I've had a copy of the data sheet for the tube for about 12 months.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    cdlynch likes this.
  17. Drgonzonm

Drgonzonm

Sep 4, 2017
    American SW
    Sure its possible, I recommend that you review the technology and check out the data sheet, It is not a replacement for 12a_7 tubes. By definition it is a true twin triode design. so it can be called a tube.

18. Drgonzonm

Drgonzonm

Sep 4, 2017
    American SW
    who says and where on andertons site did you say its at?

saabfender and Bassbeater like this.
  19. HoboCop

HoboCop Supporting Member

Since this has a clean blend control it's probably suitable for bass as is?

FunkHead likes this.
  20. Anderton's youtube review says something about dangerous tube manufacturing. I'd never heard that either...
    They seemed pretty unimpressed with the pedal. I blind tested along with them and chose the 808. That's just two guys opinions though.