1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)
  2. The purpose of this forum is to solicit input on newsletter content.  Paul L. from Threadloom (threadloom_paul) is testing algorithms that will select threads to feature as "popular" in upcoming weekly emails.  He has access to this forum and will be posting here shortly.  Thanks! - Paul D.

Ibanez Artcore AGB140 bass (semi hollow)??

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Ingemar, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    I'v just bought an new Ibanez Artcore AGB140 bass (semi hollow) and I think it's a verry cool bass for that price.
    I think the orginal strings are Daddario XL 0.45 - 1.05 Superlong scale.
    I think they are a bit to "clanky" for this bass.
    Anyone who have suggestions on suitable string brands?
    They have to be super/extra long cause althoug the bass is 34" the distance from the bridge to the string ancor is verry long.
    I've checked out ELIXIR long scale but the winding on the E str stops some ten mm from the nut.The distance from ballend of the string to the nut has to be at least 940 mm

2. After a month - how does the bass feel? Had any gigs? Any info about this bass will be appreciated.

Jure

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Thomasitk-Infeld Jazz Flats. They'd rock out on a semi-hollow!

EDIT: Oh, this should be in the strings forum.

4. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    I think this is a very nice bass at this price (I've got the single cut model)
    I just restringed it with TI Jazz rounds (to get a bit more "allround sound" than flats (the bass is rather sencitive to different playing positions), and I think it sound perfect for my semi acoustik softpop/sing-song wr. band (ac.git/my semihollow bas/female singer and small drumkit or programmed perc.)
    With the orginal Daddario XL strings and played with a pic it was well suited for "dirtier pop styles" (I'm thinkin of buying one more and keep the orginal str. for this occasions)
    I've only tested the bass in rehearsals but it sounds and plays great (allthough I need to do some adjustments/setup after changing str.)

5. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    Forgot to say that it's rather lightweight, about 7lb15oz/3,6 kg
    But the strapbutton on the bakside of the body/neckjoint makes the bass prone to tip forwards(not neckdiveing).Not a big issue to me, though.

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Great! I use Jazz Rounds on my fretted, fantastic strings. They live forever, too!

7. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    I think this is a very nice bass at this price (I've got the single cut model)
    I just restringed it with TI Jazz rounds (to get a bit more "allround sound" than flats (the bass is rather sencitive to different playing positions), and I think it sound perfect for my semi acoustik softpop/sing-song wr. band (ac.git/my semihollow bas/female singer and small drumkit or programmed perc.)
    With the orginal Daddario XL strings and played with a pic it was well suited for "dirtier pop styles" (I'm thinkin of buying one more and keep the orginal str. for this occasions)
    I've only tested the bass in rehearsals but it sounds and plays great (allthough I need to do some adjustments/setup after changing str.)

Forgot to say that it's rather lightweight, about 7lb15oz/3,6 kg
    But the strapbutton on the bakside of the body/neckjoint makes the bass prone to tip forwards(not neckdiveing).Not a big issue to me, though.