Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez Artcore Bass Comments

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Collin.A, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Collin.A

Collin.A

Jun 22, 2005
    Alright, so I bought a double cut sunburst hollowbody artcore about half a year ago, and I've got some comments on it. I've heard rumers that people are worried about the tuning nobs being too weak..thats 100% untrue. With that said I have run into three main problem spots with the Artcore. The first is that the tone pot does absolutly nothing. The second is that because the wiring is japanese it wont last more than a few years at max. The third problem is that the factory pick-up is not very good, and it has a strange size so its hard to find any replacements.
    Over the last half year I replaced all the wiring with American p-bass wiring, replaced the input volume and tone pots, replaced the tone cab with a different value, and had the pick-up custom fitted to a Gnl l-2000 pick-up.
    The good news is that after all of these changes the bass sounds amazing. Despite its factory faults I would recommend this bass to anyone interested in hollow bodies. (well... anyone who can't get a lakland hollow body :) )

2. Alan U

Alan U

Jul 12, 2005
    North East London
    Hello; is that the AGB 140 you're talking about?
    I've recently seen pictures of them, they look fabulous, but I'm not sure I need the hassle you describe.

Thanks, Alan

3. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I love my agb 140, but, lately, it's looks have been just...really boring to me. I've been thinking of selling it.

4. Collin.A

Collin.A

Jun 22, 2005
    I have an ASB 140, but I believe the difference between the agb and asb is only cosmetic. First off, the changes I gave are only what I thought I needed to get the bass to be perfect for me, but really its a good bass straight from the factory (especially for only $400). As far as looks go, I think it looks great and it doesnt bore me at all, but I suggest changing something as small as tone and volume nobs to spice up the look. (Try chicken heads)

5. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    That wouldn't be enough for me, honestly, although chicken head knobs do rock. If I really wanted to up the visual appeal for myself, personally, well...I'd have to do do a refinish, cover the pup, and add a pickguard. And I don't think I'm in for that much work on this bass.

6. Alan U

Alan U

Jul 12, 2005
    North East London
    How do you rate them on sound and build quality?
    Have you tried them with flatwound strings?

They do look lovely, I'd love to really find it is as good as it looks.

Alan

7. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I haven't tried it with flats, but with rounds, it's got a really full, warm sound, with a tinge of bright, agressive treble. Sort of like how you'd generally expect a vintage-style semi-hollow to sound, but with a bit of jazz-like bite. I'm guessing with flats it'd take a turn the other way.

8. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    can you elaborate on why the electronics won't last simply because they're japanese? if the parts are cheap(this is an inexpensive instument,
    after all) that's one thing.....
    d

9. Collin.A

Collin.A

Jun 22, 2005
    The electronics are just not reliable, and the connections are weak and tend to come lose. Rewiring the bass was just something I decide to do.

As far as build quality, the artcore's only weak point is its wiring. The rest of the bass is flawless. I actually have the artcore set up with flatwounds right now, and I like it a lot. Personally, I feel like flats really make the bass sound more like it should-- warm and mellow.