1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez Artcore Semi-Hollowbody Bridge assessment

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Skillet, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Skillet

Skillet Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    Happy day for me, as I've long GASd for a semi-hollowbody bass, and UPS kindly delivered to me today an Ibby Artcore AGB-140, circa 2005-ish. I've already ordered the 50k pots and .22 cap to un muddy the pickup as detailed in this thread IBANEZ ARTCORE TONE PROBLEM SOLVED !!!

It came from a guitar store via Fleabay, and was, according to the add, setup, and indeed it did come with a lovely and new set of Rotosound TruBass 88 tapewound strings on it, and the action was OK, a bit high for my tastes, but the relief looked very close.

I do notice a pronounced forward tilt of the bridge pegs. To my eye it's 3/32 or so (I'd call it a heavy 16th on the job site). Obviously the string tension is pulling the assembly forward. The question is, is this normal for this style of bass, or is it a sign of age and weakening of the top (or inappropriate strings)?

I took pics of the bass tuned to standard 440, down a half step (where both of my current bands hang out), and tension off (fretboard needed oiling).

It's a beautiful bass, and I'm open to options such as; restringing it with less demanding strings (177lbs of pull on the Roto Tru's, on the high side but not outrageous or so I've heard). Keeping these tapes on it with the assurance that the tilt is par for the course. Returning this sexy bass which plays great and which I really like.

Looking for some guidance.

Attached Files:

2. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Are the actual threaded inserts pulling out of the body? Or is just the stop bar pulling into that position? It looks like the inserts and studs are in the right spot but the stopbar itself is crooked Hard to tell without actually seeing it

Have you pulled the bar and studs out and checked for wear or bending? Also are the inserts snug in the body or does it look like they were loose, pulled out and then glued back in on a slight angle?

I haven't played one of these for quite some time and can't remember whether the tailpiece was crooked or not..

3. Skillet

Nov 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    The inserts are all the way in, but the rim (of the insert) to the front of the bass is down into the wood further (by about the diameter of the rim). In other words, it's the insert itself that has tilted forward, not the threaded post that goes into it, but only by a heavy 1/16th of an inch. Nothing is pulling out of the body. The front half of the cap or rim of the insert is further into the body than the rear half of it.

4. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Then that's part of the problem and it could get worse over time. The holes in the body get wallowed out from tension on the inserts. Eventually the inserts pull all the way out. I've seen it happen on Gibson guitars but it can happen anytime you have a pressed in insert under tension.

If it were mine I'd have a luthier check it out just to be safe. If it needs repair it shouldn't cost too much.

5. Skillet

Nov 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    The next question I suppose, is, what would a luthier do to repair said issue. Do those inserts thread into the body or do they just press in? Obviously the tilt indicates some wallowing, would this be corrected perhaps by filling the hole, say with epoxy or other filler, then re-drilling it? Or gluing some verticle shims towards the rear of the hole so that the inserts re-orient themselves verticly?

I assume that there is solid wood under the center section of the top that is under the bridge.
    Thanks for your imput 60. I know that the reflection from the finish make it hard to actually make out what's going on in the pictures.

6. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Usually the inserts are a press fit into the wood. There will be a block of wood inside that the inserts go into.

I once had a Les Paul that had a loose insert and had it repaired. The luthier was able to get it tightened up but I'm not sure exactly how he did it . I know it wasn't plugged and redrilled though. Possibly he shimmed it somehow but it would have had to be a very thin shim.

A friend of mine repaired his LP by pulling the insert out (it was very loose at the top with obvious wiggle) then he wrapped some thin copper shielding foil tightly around the insert and tapped it back in. In his case it worked fine and was still tight 10 years later when he sold the guitar. Possibly that might have been how the luthier repaired the one I had.

I don't know about using any type of glue on those inserts. If one ever strips it might destroy the top trying to remove it. Then again if your stopbar is tight and just tilted a bit maybe just roll with it if it's not affecting the playability.

7. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Wood compression. It may get worse or it may have compressed enough that it won’t any more. Regardless the studs are loose in the holes. Take it to a repair shop

They’ll probably build up the lost wood a bit and glue the studs in.

^ Not to worry about the glue making the studs impossible to remove: the pro move is to heat it with a soldering iron to soften the glue and then pull it out.

60bass likes this.
  8. Skillet

Nov 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    I think that's the fix 96. My clumsy word use and poor photography has probably led to some vagueness. But it's the tailpiece or stop anchors that have compressed the wood due to string tension.

The seller had this strung with Rotosound Trubass 88s Low Tension tapes (methinks). Interesting strings, but, from my reading, are pretty high tension strings.

I'll tackle the job and report back.

60bass likes this.
  9. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    Looks like the mounting holes were drilled vertically, rather than perpendicular to the surface of the bass in that area. My Aria TAB-66 was the same, and the inserts were pulling out.

I epoxied every insert into the body, with the exception of the one the ground wire runs to. I never know when I might need to replace that wire.

Skillet likes this.
  10. Skillet

Nov 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    Right, so that's one thing to look at when I pull the anchors, is the wood compressed (wallered out, as we say in the south), or was the hole not drilled perpendicular to the curved top? Thanks for the heads up!

11. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    On a cheap(er) semi-hollow I wager the holes are vertically drilled. I need to look at my Jack Casady and Vantage ES-355 copy when I get home to see how they are set up. It is a bit ugly on my Aria! You can see the top of the fluted sides of the inserts at the back of them as the top slopes downwards away from them.

12. Skillet

Nov 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    Well, I'm glad to be wrong on this one. After pulling the anchors out. 20180928_093123.jpg
    It turns out that there is no slack or "wallowing" of the hole. It was drilled not quite "plumb" but not perpendicular to the top either, so it did appear wompijawed (tech term). 20180928_093728.jpg

There was a good bit of slack from the studs threaded into the inserts/anchors, so I wrapped them with teflon tape.
    20180928_094150.jpg
    Everything is nice and stiff now, and no more worries that the string tension is doing evil. Apparently
    the tailpiece is a Quikchange III B-4. Good to know.
    20180928_094323.jpg

I appreciate the input guys. On a parting note, I encourage you all to keep your shop workspace as tidy and organized as mine.
    Cheers.
    20180928_093007.jpg

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 2, 2020