1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez Artcore shortscales ... Impressions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by billoetjen, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Hi,
    Who's tried the new Artcore 200 hollowbody/semi shortscales?
    I'm looking for a shortscale hollowbody or semi to fit the right retro "vibe" and tone for certain applications. I'm also a cheap SOB (unless it's a kit bass), so price is important. Not to mention, this is not likely to be my main axe; if it was, I'd spring for a Hofner Club or a Gretsch-level instrument.
    I remember trying out an Ibanez Artcore 140 (standard scale) and liking it. ;) But not enough. :rollno: Build quality was excellent, but the vibe was wrong. The new ones are way more appropriate for what I have in mind. Two pups, one way up at the neck, shortscale, and more attention to the retro look.
    Problem is, even though they've been out for a couple of years (or so I've heard) I can't find even one of them to try out. I'm in NYC, and can't find a store that has one, or even is considering it. :scowl: So, anyone take the leap and buy one yet? Actually get your hands on one? Which one? AFB200? AGB200? I'd appreciate learning everything you have to say about them. They could be a real winner for Ibanez. Why are they hiding them?

Thanks in advance.
    Bill

2. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I have an Artcore AFB-200:

[​IMG]

I found it in a local store and mostly use it for my sit down fancy pants restuarant gigs. I keep it strung with flats but I may switch to nylon tapes.

3. luvpbass

luvpbass

Sep 18, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My local music store put in a new bass room and at my suggestion, he ordered a AGB200. He has not been able to keep them in stock. I put one through a workout and got hooked. very easy short scale neck, great workmanship and cool vibe. For the money, may be one of the best basses I've ever played. it will take over from my fender cowpoke as my main gigging bass and will eventually get new tuners, pups, etc.

4. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Those look sweet, I didn't know that they were doing short-scale versions of the artcores.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

My ABG can do a decent impression of them.

6. Hitpicker

Hitpicker

Oct 20, 2007
    I have the AFB 200 (like the photo above) and it is one of my favorite basses.
    It has a deeper body than most hollows, and with the floating bridge, it has the most acoustic sounding string-to-top tone of any bass I have (10 and counting, most hollows).
    I use the Rotosound Tapewounds and love the sound. Tried the 335 style single PU
    Ibanez and sold it; not enough varied tones with the one PU. The AFB has two PUs and THE sound I've spend years and lots of bucks searching for; more uprightish than any other HB I've tried. Excellent in studio recordings.

7. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    If price is a deciding factor, rondomusic has the Brice HVB "Beatle" bass. MF has the Rogue VB100, and smallguitars.com has the Jay Turser "Beatle." They're all shorties and relatively cheap, but are all reviewed to sound good with a setup and some flats or tapes.