Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez artcore tone question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Collin.A, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Collin.A

Collin.A

Jun 22, 2005
    Just a few weeks ago I picked up a Ibanez artcore double cut simi-hollow body bass. Its an excellent bass for the price that I payed for it ($400), requiring no change to the action or neck right off the bat. It feels great to play and the tone is unique. The only problem it has that it has a bit of a mid ranged tone to it, and the pods do very little to change this in either way. I think this can be changed by going in and replacing the pod so that it will bleed more trebel off, and I have also heard that putting a nice Bartolini pick up will change the tone effectively. Both methods seem possible, but a bit pricy. Any suggestions?

2. New strings? To my mind, those semi-hollows are just begging for flats....

3. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    i have roto 77 jazz flats on mine....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
    my new band loves it...i only wish they would make a fiver variant.
    i have the same kvetch about mine re: the pots, but...i can live with it, especially since it's the closest i will prolly ever come to having a ric...the sound is soooooo reminiscent.

4. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I've had mine about 3 weeks now, no adjustment needed on mine either. I love the sound, I have 3 Rics and it's nice to have something a bit different. I can roll off all treble with the tone
    pot(entiometer) on mine.

5. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    I like mine with the tone at 10, gives me alot brighter sound, When I put it at 0, its just all bass, and there's not clarity in my notes.

But I can get my almost as growly as I want it to be, out of my artcore. If that damn body wasn't so big, I wouldn't have one problem with it. I also have the double-cut.

6. JoeyZ

JoeyZ

May 9, 2005
    Is this relatively the same with the Dean Rhapsody? The four sting? I've been eyeing the dean at a local music store for quite sometime now.