Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ibanez asb 140 schematics???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by daofktr, May 19, 2005.

1. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    hey, all:
    i'm looking to possibly mod my artcore. the tone/pup knob is next to useless, so i'm considering what to do.
    i love the tone, in general; quite uprightish, but i like to tweak... :D
    what i would like to find are the schematics for it, and then i'll do a more educated search to decide what to try.
    i used the 'search' function to find the schems, but no dice. ditto the ibanez site...:(
    thanks in advance!
    dixon

ps...if this is the wrong subforum, pls bump. if this is a stupid thread/question, pls...do the right thing and kill it before it breeds... :p

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

don't know that bass but if it's passive, passive wiring is passive wiring no matter what it's in - for the most part, like everything else there are probably some exceptions. So you could use any passive diagram that fits your needs.

If it's active with pcb's on the pots, that's another issue but you could chuck it all and go passive in that case or throw in a active passive switch if the pups are passive.

Some pups have a very narrow useful range so it could be a pup issue from the start - pups are where most the tone comes from regardless. You can change pots size or throw in caps and that will alter tone (brighter or darker). It probably won't expand the range of the pups (just move it), but it might. Series parallel switching or hardwired may also be an option if you have two pups or a 4 lead single pup.

Changing strings may also be a consideration.

Giving more info on what's in the bass would be more useful for response cause I doubt I'm alone in not knowing what an artcore is. For example, if it has a volume and a blend then two volumes would give you a lot more tone control.

3. daofktr

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    hey, luknfur:
    here's the skinny:

1) ibanez asb 140. this line came out in 2002.
    http://ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=ASB140
    2) a volume and (probably) a tone pot.
    3) "ACHB 1 Neck PU", passive.
    4) roto jazz flats 77's.

i hope to find some way to get more tonal range from the tone pot.
    if that is best accomplished by new pups, cool. if there is some other way, i'll try that.

thank you for your patience...i know jack about the world of pickups.
    :D

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Okay, yeh I'd heard of 'em but basses all run together to me in terms of particulars. Pups that come out of basses I'm much more aware of.

Semi-hollow body so I'm guessing there's no control plate on the back so you've got to stick your fingers through the F holes to get to the controls - not a fun project. Anybody that's done it knows what the "F" really stands for.

For any mod it's best to go with the cheapest, easiest, fastest, least invasive, most reverseable mod first. Ideally, the most-effective mod is in with that mix but not often the case.

As a gross generality, from my limited experience with them and the one I've had (Beatle bass copy), semi-hollow body's don't have much of a range of tone, have limited application, and tend to sound a lot alike. They do what they do well and not much else, rockabilly, etc. All basses pretty much have limited range of tones but something like a Jazz bass, if it has decent pups, will play to about any style of music passably at minimal.

If your amp has a decent range of tones, if you can't get what you want through it, you're not likely to do better onboard. I got rid of my copy cuase even with two pups, two volumes, tone, and switching - there wasn't much variety to tone or application to tunes with it - and my amp is extremely flexible tonewise.

But you might try something like an NE-1 outbaord parametric EQ. Haven't checked for a while but used about $50 or less, you won't have to touch the bass, it will go from deep to bright, two different frequency spreads, and a bypass so you can skip the EQ at the flip of a switch or get it the same way. Battery operated so no ac adaptor needed and you really don't need one for it anyway cuase a 9v battery lasts forever in it. If you don't like it, you can sell it for pretty much what you paid for it so you're not out anything. And it's doubtful (but possible) your amp has a parametric eq in it. So it's somethng different that will make a difference. And it's light and not much bigger than a stomp box. So nothing major to haul around.

The only disadvantage is it's not onboard.

5. daofktr

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    yup...no access plate, just gotta go through the effin' holes.
    the NE-1 sounds good. i do have the basic three knobs (treb, mid, bass) on my amp, so i can tweak the sound, of course, but i might consider something outboard.
    thanks again!
    :D

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE