Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez atcore bass semi-hollow

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eilif, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Hey all,
    Does anyone have any info on this awesome looking bass.

http://www.ibanez.com/namm/04w_namm.asp?pr=17

It looks great, except for the pickup, which is a bit modern looking. perhaps a pbass chrome pickup cover would be just the thing. The website says it will be available in a singlecut body as well.
    If it is anything like the artcore guitars, it will probably be on par with the epiphones at a significanly lower price. Anyone with any information on construction, sound, etc. would be really appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Eilif

2. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

I saw the double-cutaway model on Harmony-central and though it looked quite cool.

I wonder if it has the vibe to go along with it. I have been looking at the Lakland Skyline model but they're going to be around $1,350 Cdn. here in Toronto. The Ibanez looks a lot more reasonalbe pricewise. Has anybody seen a picture of the single-cutaway model?

3. natasmi

natasmi

Apr 30, 2002
    I have seen the single cutaway, dark brown stain, beautiful. It's gonna be mine ASAP. Can't wait to see the discount price.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Found 'em in Musician's Friend's catalog...

5. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Thanks for the responses all. I'm especially glad to see the singlecut. It looks awesome ! Has anyone heard what they are supposed to sound like?
    I am looking for the low meaty thump like you can get on a Jack Casady bass. The only ibanez I have ever played with that pickup sounded really hi-fi and trebley. But it was a solid body soundgear with an active circut. So I am probably comparing apples and oranges. Any clues as to the sound would be appreciated.
    I have a vintage (late 60's) Crown Viola bass ( A japanese copy of the Eko bass like one les claypool has) that I fear for every time I take it on a gig. This could be the answer, and my next bass... Oh man am I jonesing for one of these.

6. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Thanks much for posting the pic of the single cutaway. It's the first time that I was able to get a glimpse and I'm not disappointed. If it sounds as good as it looks, I'm in.

Hmm... how fast can I save up for one of those babies.

7. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Here's the single cutaway with the image from tplyon's previous posts photoshop'd a bit.

8. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

I was at the North York Long & Mcquade sale on Saturday (It was a zoo).

To my delight, I spied a single cutaway Ibanez Artcore bass on the rack. This was totally unexpected as earlier in the week I had been in the flagship Toronto downtown store and when I asked about the Ibanez Artcore basses the bass guitar sales guy said they would never have something like that in stock. It would have to be a special order. 'Scuse me. I was surprised to see it in their North Toronto shop. I took it down and here are some observations.

Really excellent top finish, hi-gloss, semi transparent, with nice cream binding on the body, around the F-holes and on the sides of the fretboard. The neck was also finished in the high gloss laquer on the back (a little "sticky", not as silky smooth as my American Precision). Looked like D'Addario roundwounds were installed (you know the coloured ends).

The bass itself was quite light with a slighter wider lower bout than typical solid-bodies so that it sat a bit high when played on your lap. It would probably be quite comfortable standing with a strap.

The bass was in need of a setup as it had way too much neck relief. I don't know the actual nut dimension, but it felt roughly like a cross between a Fender Precision and Jazz neck but with what seemed like a slightly deeper "C" profile. It was a bit more of a "handful" for me, but I found it comfortable.

It was hard to get a feel for the sound of the thing. I plugged into a small Yorkville combo but was drowned out by all the 15 year olds on Squiers making like Joe Satriani with parents looking on scowling saying things like: "Play something nice for your mom". I'll have to go back on a weeknight when it's quieter for a more complete test drive.

Some sonic observations were:

It definitely had a different kind of warm midrange prominence compared to a solid body bass. Midrange warmth due to prominent harmonics and overtones is a characteristic of D'Addarios though IMO.

I think it would respond well to some LaBella or TI flatwounds to give the lower end a bit more bloom and thump.

I was so taken with the appearance of the thing that I think I'll buy one for the looks alone. It definitely has that old school vibe.

9. They look like a lot of bang for the buck but I think I'll stick with my Reverend.

10. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

I don't blame you, they are very cool guitars, everything I read about them is positive. There's a good review in this months' Bass Player.

The one big advantage the Ibanez has over the Reverend is price, about half what the Reverend costs.

11. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the Artcore is very good; their guitars certainly are. If you look around, though, you can find used Reverends for what you'll pay for an Artcore. Of course, there are very few thrills greater than taking home and playing YOUR BRAND NEW bass! I don't think you'll go wrong with an Artcore.

12. I think those look pretty nice but i think the looks could benifit even further with the addition of a full chrome tail piece to the butt end of the bass...that would make it uber sexy :cool: