Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez ATK-100

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Jul 26, 2005.

1. I have a chance at getting one of these, i have only played the newer ones that have the EQ and the J pickup on the neck

This one is simply the triple coil pup, 2 dials (tone and volume?) and a selector switch, how does it compare to the ATK-300 ( i think thats what i tried ), can you still get that nice chunky aggressive sound?

And just judging by it seems to be a passive/no preamp, is it a passive bass? ( or is the pup active? )

Thanks

- Will

2. Ive been reading through the tons of threads that popped up on ATK 100 and have found it is passive

Still any other info on it is helpful :D

3. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Not only is the ATK 100 passive, its body is also made of TalkBass's least favourite wood, basswood. You still want to buy one? :D

4. Who cares what its made of, how does it sound :p

< BUMP >

[Edit] im also thinking about putting in an active pre amp, and an on/off switch for the pre, which should be possible [/Edit]

5. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    I dont think it's made of basswood, more likely alder I think, and yes it is passive and adding a preamp is very possible, the atk 300 is the old version without J PU, the 400 and 700 and 1300 have J's and 24 frets and are active

6. So, good or not, how does it compare to the others? still got that lovely weight (physically) and crunch ?

7. It's light, that's for damned sure. It sounds pretty much like my SUB sounded, tho not as bright and clanky as the SUB was. I've never played a 300. The switch goes from series to parallel and it's string thru body. The body is Alder.

8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I had a passive ATK for a minute and it sounded just fine. Think of it as a very, very nice OLP. That's about what it sounds like.