1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez ATK 1205 VS 815 Differences?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Megapretzel, Mar 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Megapretzel

Megapretzel Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Texas
    Hello all, I am having trouble finding the difference between the Ibanez ATK 815 and ATK 1205. It looks like the 815 is the only 5 stringer ATK available on the Ibanez website. I understand that the ATK 1205 series were made in Japan and came with a hard-shell case. However, I am looking at the specs and design of the 815 and comparing it to the 1205, I can not really find much of a difference. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the differences. Thanks!

Ibanez ATK 815 Specs page: Electric Basses ATK - ATK815E PREMIUM | Ibanez guitars

Ibanez ATK 1205 Specs from Sweetwater: Ibanez ATK1205 5-string Bass - Natural

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    What you are doing is sort of like comparing a G&L Tribute to a US G&L. The Tribute is well made and sounds a US Tribute, but every component of the US bass will be made from better quality components than the Tribute, and the fit and finish will be better too.
    The same will be true for the ATK1205 over the ATK815.

3. Megapretzel

Apr 28, 2012
    Texas
    Looking at both models though, they are made out of the same body wood, same finish, same pickups, same 3 piece maple neck.

4. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    I'd say the differences are negligible, including the build quality since the newer Indonesian made model carries Ibanez Premium title. Seems that the newer model has flat / non glossy finish and uses wooden pick guard whereas the older Japanese made model has glossy finish and clear PG.

5. Megapretzel

Apr 28, 2012
    Texas
    Hah, wow did not even notice the difference in pick guard since the 1205 uses a clear pick guard. It just makes me wonder why the 1205 was discontinued while the 815 is still available.

6. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    In term of production cycles, Ibanez began building the 1205 in early 2013, whereas the 815 production was just started in near the end of 2014, logically the market might still have more the 815 in stock than the 1205.

and it's clearly that the 1205, being in the Prestige lines, cost more to produce thus they have more expensive price tag, whereas the 815, though belongs in the Premium lines, to some extent are more affordable, thus they would sell more being both lines are regarded to have excellent quality.

7. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Love my 19 year old 305. Is weird that I've never once thought of getting a newer one ala 815 or 1205?

8. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    it must be an awesome pre 2000 built ATK... :bassist:

Element Zero likes this.
  9. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    IMG_1899.JPG Bought it winter of '98. Removed the pickguard and repainted in '04 I believe? Been my one and only bass until a few weeks ago.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    Ampslut likes this.