1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez ATK 300 Comments, Opinions, etc.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Luis Fabara, Sep 4, 2000.

1. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Hi.
    This is a thread for everyone who has tried/played the Ibanez ATK 300 Bass, either US made or Korean Made.
    Please post your comments of the bass and compare it to a Music Man Sterling or Stingray or any bass with similar sound.

2. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    Got one of the US made ones, a USATK4, I think it is called. Lots of sounds available with the 3 position switch and the three band EQ. It is a good example of a bass that I would feel comfortable with playing any genre of music. Tons of bottom along with lots of highs. How does it compare to a MusicMan, I don't really know as I have never played one. I am definitely impressed by this bass, much more then I have been by other Ibanez basses in the past. Must also say that I have played one of the passive Korean made ATK100's at a local store and wasn't impressed at all.

Steve

3. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I have played a few ATK 300s in my day and own a musicman. The 300 are quite impressive basses, especially used (or old stock) because they are dirt cheap. The sound is very punchy and the bass itself is very versatile. I may almost venture to say that it's a little more versatile than the Stingray, but it's been a while since I played one. All I truly remember is that the sound was great (for a bass marked at $299 US) and I wanted to get one as a project bass (you know, to paint, add a pickup, change electronics a bit, etc. for fun and since the bass sounded good and was cheap, if I screw up, no big loss).

My opinion (in my shoes): If you find one and you can afford it (and you actually want it/ need it), get it. Of course, the long term results of these basses is not known by me, so feel free to ask around, but I've heard no complaints. It's a cool bass aimed at the stingray fans on an Ibanez budget.

4. fatrhino

fatrhino

Jan 2, 2000
    I have an ATK300 or Emily as i like to call it. She is beautiful and sounds as good as she looks. That triple coil motherbucker in my opinion sounds pretty damn similar to the musicman. This is Ibanez's version of the MM some people say. It is damn heavy though. I got mine used in excellent condition for $300. If you have the $ get a music man but i'd say the ATK is just as good and i think it looks better.

5. I've owned an ATK400 the Japan one with the Koa top it was beautiful, sounded excellent and was raelly nice to play. I've also heard one that had a BassLines pick up installed. It sounded amazing!! One of the best quality for dollar Basses I've ever seen.
    I traded mine in for a Stingray 5