Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez ATK 300 p/up-preamp mods

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by theMud, Apr 22, 2001.

1. theMud

theMud

Dec 4, 2000
    Georgia, USA
    I really like my ATK (my first decent bass) and was wondering if anyone has found any replacement p/ups or preamps that would work in it w/o carving it up (it looks like there's plenty of room in the control cavity). I would be thrilled to get stronger, cleaner lows and smoother highs out of it. The stock electronics aren't the greatest (like you would expect on a $350 dollar bass). Any suggestions?

2. That bass is designed to have a nasty, snarling growl with heaps of punch. Bass Player described it as a "junkyard dawg" tone! Why change it? If you want a smooth r'nb type tone, you may be better off selling it and buying a Fender Jazz or similar. IMO.

3. theMud

theMud

Dec 4, 2000
    Georgia, USA
    Yeah, that's what I was afraid of--but I can't bring myself to sell it. But I can definately let go of the EB Stingray 4 I just came across. I loved it for about 2 weeks 'til I got tired of the bright bright bright tone. Thanks anyway though.