1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez ATK 300 p/up-preamp mods

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by theMud, Apr 22, 2001.

1. theMud

theMud

Dec 4, 2000
    Georgia, USA
    I really like my ATK (my first decent bass) and was wondering if anyone has found any replacement p/ups or preamps that would work in it w/o carving it up (it looks like there's plenty of room in the control cavity). I would be thrilled to get stronger, cleaner lows and smoother highs out of it. The stock electronics aren't the greatest (like you would expect on a $350 dollar bass). Any suggestions?

2. That bass is designed to have a nasty, snarling growl with heaps of punch. Bass Player described it as a "junkyard dawg" tone! Why change it? If you want a smooth r'nb type tone, you may be better off selling it and buying a Fender Jazz or similar. IMO.

3. theMud

theMud

Dec 4, 2000
    Georgia, USA
    Yeah, that's what I was afraid of--but I can't bring myself to sell it. But I can definately let go of the EB Stingray 4 I just came across. I loved it for about 2 weeks 'til I got tired of the bright bright bright tone. Thanks anyway though.