ibanez atk 300

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Sep 17, 2003.

1. howdy all, been a long time since ive been here but its good to be back.
    well down to buisness, i finally found out exactly what my baby is (atk 300bk) and i cant seem to find anywhere the specs of this fantastic bass, so if any of you know anything of this bass eg body wood, hardware brand.
    thanks heath.(the major rajor from down under:p )

plus soon im looking to find an atk 305 so if any of you who own one and want to sell one in about 6 months please email me at rhcp_metallica@yahoo.com
  2. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    34" Scale
    Maple Neck
    Poplar or Ash body (korean and heavy), depends on color
    3/4" Spacing at bridge
    Triple coil pickup w/ 3band EQ and series/parallel/phantom coil (coil cut?) switch
    Hardware is relatively cheap Ibanez house brand, but bridge is pretty sturdy. The tuners can be rebuilt or replaced with Schaller Fender size stuff.

IMO, the best Stingray copy made that can be had for $300 or so used.

The 5's have SUPER narrow spacing, that's why I never got one.
  3. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    You may also have snagged a Japan-made one, they have heavy ash bodies. Check the back of the headstock, it says "Made in Japan" on mine.
  4. sorry forgot to say that the guy (bastard) i bought it off had removed (scratched off) the decals on the front and back of the headstock but i can just make out that it was korean made.
    what are the newer atk's like with the extra single coil p/u. they never made it to australia, damn bastards. yeah thos olp stingrays are pretty nice if i cant get an atk 5'er it will either be and olp 5 or musicman sub 5.
  5. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    I hear the new ones aren't too hot -- they're said to sound quite a bit different and not as Stingray-ish as the older ATKs, as they have mahogany bodies, but that's all I know.
  6. shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    My ATK 300 was MIKorea, and it has a super heavy, 3 piece ash body.

I have a other basses, but I keep on coming back to the ATK. The tone is really remarkable. It's huge and up front and super grindy.

I don't think that the hardware is particularly cheap - the knobs are knurled metal with good heft. The pots are smooth without crackles. The bridge is massive. The battery compartment is a separate plastic cover with brass inserts and machine screws to avoid stripping.

My output jack was bad, and I replaced it with one from Stew-Mac, and now my battery life is great.

The pickup settings are series, single coil (bright), and single coil. The single coil modes use the middle (dummy) coil for hum cancelling. As it comes from the factory, there is no parallel mode. I usually use the series mode, but I can get a passable P-bass tone from the regular single coil mode.

I agree with rojo412 - the 5 string ATK had really narrow spacing. It was as if they used the same neck as the 4 string, added a tuner and recut the nut.
  7. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    ATK is simply an awesome bass for the money. The only thing you should have to replace is the output jack.

The rest of the hardware (and electronics) is just fine.
  8. whats so bad about the input jack?
  9. I know I'm riving an old thread (was looking for someone seling a MIJ. ATK and found this randomly on google) but it's worth noting that the input jacks are kinda useless.

They're a close barrel kinda design so when they get worn a bit (it takes a while probably, I've had my new one a year and it's not worn at all yet) you can't bend the jack arms back into place to get a solid connection, so it makes an awful noise as the electrics are turned off and on again while your jacks inside it.

The things are quite expensive too at least a fiver maybe ten pounds, can't quite remember now, but easy enough to fit cos they screw nicely in place for you to solder and probably last for a good few years.
  10. Keskin

Feb 20, 2006
    Has anybody compared the sound of the new ATK series to the older 300 model ? I was wondering if the new MM-style truss rod makes a difference in sound.
  11. Yeah I need to check on that, the one at one of the local music shops near me doesn't seem as heavy as mine, but I dunno if the Japanese one is a little different in a couple of ways anyway.
  12. Keskin

Feb 20, 2006
    That woul`d be great SwamiRob.
    I have a japanese one, it should be the same as the korean made ones. Ash body complete alder neck and same electronics as the korean 300`s and it`s pretty heavy.
    I`am wondering because somehow i cant get the slap sound i want out of mine.
  13. I heard their proper rare so I thought they might have a couple of different features but I don't really know to be honest.

I'm pretty surprised you can't get a good slap sound, you tried different strings and altering your action?
  14. Keskin

Feb 20, 2006
    Yup i tried many different things over the years and i know you won`t like to hear this but i like the warwick, fender etc. slap tones better, they´re not that metallic and klickery. Duno maybe it`s just my fingers or the gear i´am playing through.
  15. I can't play slap to save my life and won't be learning any time too, I play mostly with a pick n all, although I've listened to enough RHCP when I was starting out for white man's funk bass to be very much part of how I play :p

what amps you played it through? Play with a newish SS Laney head and a Berg NV215 and it's deep as owt. You tried the setting closest to the bridge? It takes alot of the bright edge off, try lowering the pickup too.