Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez - ATK 305 or SRX 505?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by I am Domokun, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Title says it all, really.

I can get the ATK for €200 cheaper, and with a gigbag.

It'll be for heavy & soft rock, grunge, some metal and stuff. I hear that the ATK sounds really like a Musicman, like what the Tool bassist uses, and I love his tone, and the Kyuss bassist used an ATK, I love his sound too.

I've not played either of them, and my local music store is **** and doesn't have any good basses.

So, suggestions?

2. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    get that atk, you'll get a piece of japanese music craft history, and they rule, words from an atk user

may I advise you to install the atk pickup from these guys??? www.bassculture.de

3. Justin Chancellor used to use a Stingray. Now he uses WAL basses. He recorded the Songs H. and 46&2 with a Stingray. Also, he only played on the AEnima and Lateralus albums.

And I'd go with the ATK any day. The SRX is more for metal and hardcore. Its a good sounding bass yes, but the ATK is a better buy.

4. ATK ATK ATK ATK ATK ATK ATK ATK ATK ATK ATK ATK

The ATK 305 is Korean made, but they are amazing basses! ive got the 400, which is the same but has a J neck pup, and is obviously 4 string, its a great bass, seriously, god knows why they discontinued the ATK series!

+ Greg K from The Offspring uses them :)

However, i must reiterate, ATK hands down!

5. How do I do that? And more importantly, how much does it cost and how do I order? Thanks for the advice, I was leaning towards the ATK anyways.

:edit: Whoah, I was referring to the 2nd post there.

6. Nah, ATK's are ace for hardcore . . . real hardcore that is :p

7. Hehehe, I was referring to the crap thats out now... :p

8. Nah, thats "post-hard-modernest-emo-im-going-to-slit-my-wrists-with-my-flick-core" ;)

9. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
  10. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    While I like the SRX505 I would have to say the ATK is the better deal. ATK.

11. I'm picking up a vibe here...
    I think I'll go with the ATK, I've nearly got enough cash now!

Just one question: Having only ever played my crappy cheapo Harley Benton bass, how much better will this sound/play?

12. The ATK will sound almost like a MM stingray :)

13. I don't know how that sounds :)
    But I'll be playing it through an Ashdown MAG300 combo, will it sound good? That's all I want to know :)

14. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
  15. ATK's always sound good

Dont know if its the best example (tho i love em), Greg from the Offspring uses an ATK most of the time live and on record, so, if you've heard any of thier stuff, the bass can sound like that

16. Well, I got the ATK...
    What will this do for me?