Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez ATK 305

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by embellisher, Feb 5, 2002.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

OK, as a lot of you know, I have been interested in a Stingray 5. Now I know that this isn't a Stingray, but, I have heard that it gets very close to the 'Ray tone, and has single coil mode as well. Also, I could carve the bass up and put in a P5 pickup, and not feel as bad about it as if I did the same thing to a Stingray.

And the ATK is a lot less $$$ too. Got my eye on a faded transparent green one in a local shop.

So, you guys(and girls) that have experience with both of these basses, give me the scoop. Does the ATK sound like a Stingray?

2. the ATK-305 is an awesome bass!!!

i've heard Gary Willis play it on his Bent CD. Phenomenal tone!

3. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    the ATk is a really good bass. compared to the stingray it's easy to know to what ibanez technician were thinking when started building the ATK. it's a stingray like instrument and to be honest it's my favorite ibanez. but it doesnt sound like a stingray. it can be really near in some eq settings but it's not the same. in my experience the atk is a little less present in the high spectrum and gives a good but not as good as stingray slap tone. it's great with a pick. keep in mind that this is a really heavy instrument, heavier than the stingray and the neck is fat and big. your idea seems really good, tou could replace the preamp with a SD too. what kind of 5 string Precison style pickup are you going to use?
    good luck with this ibanez, even if that warmoth project....;)

4. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    Yes he did use that at a clinic once, so a online bassist said. But I think the clinic he went to was an Ibanez one where he plays all of their instruments and talks about them (From the ATK to the EDA to his own now defunct signature model). I'm not sure if he used it on a recording but that would rock!

I never liked Ibanez but the EDA made me rethink...

5. embellisher

Thanks for the replies, guys. Anyone else have experience with the ATK tone?

6. idealtracks

idealtracks Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    I have both StingRay's and ATK300's - and I can't say enough great stuff about the ATK. It's an incredibly economical work horse that will sustain for days! (Rough on the back though - the Korean model is heavy - the USA model is VERY heavy!)

The ATK sound comes as close to the Ray sound as any other bass I've ever played, but it is not dead on. So what - do we all want to sound just alike anyway?

The ATK's output level can be made MUCH hotter than a StingRays using it's internal gain adjustment.

I've spent several hours this week A-B-ing the two types trying to decide whether or not to just play the ATK's in favor of my main StingRay... money is NOT a factor in my decision. I've actually decided that I like the sound of the ATK thru my Eden rig much better than my year 2000 MusicMan!

BTW - I just sold a 1990 StingRay4 two weeks ago on ebay, and I got more than I originally paid - I bought another ATK300 with the profit! ;-)

You can feel good about buying an ATK. Anything specific I can help answer about them let me know!

7. embellisher

Thanks for the input, Johnmark. Is the 305 Korean? What should I expect to pay for a NOS one?

8. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    there are USA and Korean ATKs embellisher. ive got a USA 5. bought it off the internet. it has defenitly delivered as far as tone goes, but i am currently looking for a replacement neck. I would defenitly say go for it, they are sweet basses, but make sure you play it first if it has the tension free neck, as mine is badly warped. i fixed it as best i could, and the playability is ok now, but not where i want it. the 305 is a korean model, as is the 105. the 305 has the active 3 band eq and triple coil pickup (great setup!) i wouldnt mess with the electronics, as they are pure genius IMO. unless its a korean.

i am having a rather bad experience with the neck. im looking at having a graphite replacement retrofitted. Dave Bunker qouted me 125 plus shipping the bass both ways (from michigan) to set it up properly... and i figure for that much i might as well get a new neck for a little bit more. The bass can defenitly get a stingrayish sound, and IMO it looks better than a ray 5. just be sure to play the one you get first, as mine had some serious issues. if its transparent faded green, sounds just like mine.

does it have a pearloid pickguard and double black dots on the fingerboard, as well as a flamed maple fingerboard, and quilted headstock?

if so than its the USA model with the tension free neck, not as adjustable as the standard neck with the trussrod, and a whole lot heavier. but i suppose it might get a heftier tone as well. best of luck! (btw the original color was deep blue, as it still is under the gaurd, but it has faded to its current green-gold burst state)

sorry forgot about your last question.
    i paid about $525 to get my usa atk 5, including shipping, and a 60 dollar hard case from musicians friend. (highly reccomended, fits well, and fairly well built, good deal for the price)

9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
  10. embellisher

Thanks Ryan, but that one doesn't have enough strings.;)

SR, thanks for all of the info. I'll have to see if it is a US model or not. It does not have the headstock overlay, but it looked like it had the tension free neck. Looked like the headstock was a separate piece and attached to the neck with a metal plate.

11. I just bought an ATK 5 string with a case off ebay for 450.00. there were a couple others there but don't remember if they were a 5. as soon as i get it i'll tell you how close the sound is to a MM. ;)

12. idealtracks

idealtracks Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    SRSiegel knows his ATK stuff.

IMO $450 is a good price for the ATK305. Under $400 and I would not hesitate.

The four string model (ATK300) has been going for around $300 for the past few years. (Some on ebay have gone for < $200, others > $400) If I remember right, the 300's street price when new was about $675-775 back in 1993. The 5 stringer usually fetches at least $100 more.

That $60 case sounds good. Not sure about the 5er but the 300 rarely comes with a hard case on the used market. The body is a little wider than a StingRays, so I know they won't fit in the new MusicMan cases (not mine anyway). It does fit in an old Jazz bass case. Also fits in a Fender gig bag of course.

BTW just in case you ever need to, the pickup cavity will hold a standard sized MM pickup.

13. SoggyTrousers

SoggyTrousers Guest

Jan 9, 2002
    Wayne, New Jersey
    I like the ATK 400, myself. Only problem is, i cant find them anywhere. Are they only made overseas..or what?

14. embellisher

WetPants, they are no longer imported to the US. You can get them in Europe and Japan, but not here.:( Look for a used one.

15. SoggyTrousers

SoggyTrousers Guest

Jan 9, 2002
    Wayne, New Jersey
    *sobbs* That's what i thought...:(

16. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    DOH!!:rolleyes:

I guess I should have paid a little more attention to your post. Oh well.:D

17. I play an ATK 300.... I rent it from long and McQuaid in vancity here... It is 500 canadian, and I think that is a bit more than the market value.... It plays nice, is nice and heavy, and sounds cool. I mean if you like punk tone this has as much as you can handle with a pick, new strings and the mids boosted a bit. I use it is an alt rock band through a traynor mono block II and a traynor 215. It gets a solid tone with decent bottom end. Not the warmest sounding bass in the world. In my opinion it is a very aggressive harsh bass.. .If anyone could please tell what the switch positions are for I would be grateful. the 3 way selector is not labeled and I can not find what each setting refers too.

Thanks

Mike

18. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    I've got an ATK 300. Pure balls... Gets about as close as you can get to a ray without being a ray. The switch gives you 3 different pu settings, as i'm sure you already know. The neck and middle position sound almost identical, but the middle is much, much brighter. Neck setting = ray. Cuts through very well and the sustain is awesome. Wouldn't trade it for anything... Well, maybe a Wal.

19. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    hey! we have a sponsor! <looks at SWR banner> rock on paul! anyways, doesnt it seem that ibanez would want to import the ATK's here? they are missing out on a huge market i would think.

20. embellisher

SR, they used to. I think that the basses were a flop in the states. Don't know why. They are much better than Soundgears.