Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez ATK 305

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RAIHL, Feb 17, 2003.

1. RAIHL

RAIHL Guest

Jul 18, 2001
    Tucson, AZ
    I just acquired a nice looking ATK(has not arrived yet), but I have never actually played one. This will be my secondary bass, primary one being a wawrwick fortress masterman. I love the deep sound I get from it, ans would like to keep that growly deepness. I have always read good feedback about the ATK. Does anyone not think that it is a good investment to have the ATK?
    Just looking for some reassurance..........

2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    My ATK305 is slowly becoming my main bass. I love it! I don't know about comparing it to the Warwick, 'cause I've never played the Fortress series. Mine, with shipping from Pennsylvania to Alabama came out to $268. Definitely the best $268 I've ever spent!

3. RAIHL

RAIHL Guest

Jul 18, 2001
    Tucson, AZ
    SoCom-----
    How long ago did you get yours? is it an American or a Korean, mine is a Korean. Any tidbits you can share? I am very excited about it!

4. Cornell's jazz department has one--I dig it. It's probably too nasty for jazz, even with the world's deadest roundwounds, but I would grab it as a rock bass in a second. The B isn't comparable to that of my FBB fiver, but I'm a big-booty man.

5. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Mine's Korean. I'm a little aprehensive of the American ones without a truss rod. I guess I bought it around October. I had one sold out from under me in June last year, and was patient to find a good deal. As for any tips, I usually run mine with the Bass about 80%, the Mids between 40%-50%, and the Treble maybe around 75%, depending on the strings. I just put some DR High-beams on it, so for now I'm keeping the Treble back around 60%. I keep the switch full back most of the time. Oh...and get a GOOD strap! I'm only 19 and in great shape, but man, that thing kills me with a cheap strap!

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    You sure? I just use a regular nylong Ernie Ball strap, and I can go for hours with no problem. They aren't that heavy. I think like 6-7 lbs. Of course, I have an alder bodied one, and I don't know what yours is made out of.

My MIJ ATK kicks major booty. Not sure what model, as it has a flamed Koa top.

But these are majorly cool axes.

7. Desdenova

Desdenova

Feb 18, 2003
    Hampton, VA
    Are ESP basses any good? I keep hearing great things about Fender, Ibanez, and Warwick, but I haven't seen anyone here ever mention ESPs. I've been looking at the F204, not that I'll be buying anything new soon.

I've got an Austin(not very good, I know) right now, and I don't intend to get anything else until I get good enough to warrant something new.

8. Methinks you should have clicked the "New Thread" button.

9. Desdenova

Desdenova

Feb 18, 2003
    Hampton, VA
    But um...I'm a moron / it was somewhat related / I didn't have enough to deserve a new thread.

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That's not the way it works here. Around here, it's known as hijacking, and it's just a pain for a Mod to split a thread. If you have a question, make a new thread. We have 5 page threads on the merits of chrome vs. black hardware (gold and other colors are another bag alltogether).

No question is to small. Well, wait, some are, but that's why we have a search function.

11. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    There are American ATKs without a truss rod? Please explain.

By the way, unless I'm very much mistaken, there's no such thing as a Korean ATK 300/305/100/600. They're all MIJ.

12. ???

[​IMG]

- Wil

13. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Well, I guess I've just been proven wrong. :eek:

When was yours made? I bought my ATK in '97. It's an ATK 300 lefty, and it's made in Japan. The serial number's F614551.

14. Hey - no problem! - all I ask is that you allow me the right to be wrong ;)

- as for the age of my ATK305... I really have no idea - I bought it used in 1998, so it's anybody's guess. I also have a (Korean) ATK300 (next to the bottom on this page) - it's my understanding that the Korean ones are the least sought-after, but then again I do reserve the right to be wrong...

- Wil

PS: As far as sound is concerned, both the 300 and the 305 have a great, rich, sustain, which belies their cost - especially when they're strung through the body. Great sounding basses for quite modest $$$

15. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    i have an american ATK 5 string

with no truss rod. its a huge pain to deal with adjustments. the shape of the neck is great, but because of the lacking of a trussrod Im highly considering replacing the neck with a custom one from warmoth or moses graphite.

the neck also dives like crazy because of the heavy adjustment system inside (that doenst work very well)

my main issue is that I would then have invested 900 bucks in this bass... worth it? not yet.

however the sound is fantastic.

16. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I could rant and rave about the ATK all day long, but he said it best.

17. RAIHL

RAIHL Guest

Jul 18, 2001
    Tucson, AZ
    Does anyone have a schematic of the controls, or can anyone tell me what they are?
    Thanks in advance. Here is a pic of my atk controls

18. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    More picks of the ATK!

19. RAIHL

RAIHL Guest

Jul 18, 2001
    Tucson, AZ
    More pics of my new baby!