Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez ATK 400

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by p funk allstar, Jan 3, 2002.

1. Does anybody know if these basses are available here in America anymore? Is it possible to find them in a second-hand store? How much money do they go for used?

2. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    I snagged an ATK 300- new old stock- on ebay for about $330 including shipping. I haven't seen one in a store since Ibanez stopped making them, so I assume that they're hard to come by. I still see some artists using them, so I assume that they're being made somewhere by someone (I know, not much help). Someone else should be able to help you out more, but around $300 seemed very reasonable for the ATK 300 in the excellent condition it was in (no scratches, new battery, old strings, well set up). I think they're awesome basses, so good luck finding one.

3. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    it's possible to get a ATK 400 here in belguim it cost aproximatively 520 USD ... more shipping if you live in usa ... so if you want one be ready to spend money ..:D

4. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Is the ATK 400 the one I've seen with the MM + J pickups?

5. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    here is the picks it's a ibanez triple coil and a simple coil noise suppressor
    here is a pic

The blue is so nice ...

6. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    That's a sweet bass. You're saying the J pickup is just a dummy/noise suppressor? I'm a little confused.

7. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    i snagged a used USA ATK5 for $500 w/ hardshell..... it can be done, and they are great basses. you can find a used ATK 300 or 305 for under 400 bucks in excellent condition in the US... while you can get it at that price... if you can find it that is... good luck!

8. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    :eek:
    Sorry actually there is 4 pu on the atk 400
    > ATK Single Coil neck pu
    > ATK Triple Coil bridge pu
    and a noise suppressor but this one is hide ...

It comes from the Ibanez website

9. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    I think the noise suppressor that you're talking about is a dummy coil in the triple coil pickup, meaning at any given time, only two of the coils in the triple coil pu are giving your sound. I could be wrong. Either way, it's an awesome bass, and I'd love to try one with the J pickup.

According to the link, the extra coil is hidden and separate. That just seems weird to me.

10. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    perhaps I don't really know.. I don't own one ..

I'll ask the guy from guitar shop ...

Txs anyway

11. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    in mine (usa made... no single coil, only the triple) the dummy coil is in the triple coil. so yes, only two coils produce sound at any given time. it couldnt make too much sense to redisign a triple coil pickup system, as then one on the old usa models is sweet... but who knows... people have done screwier things.

12. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    ::shakes his head::

13. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    The dummy coil is in the center of the triple coil. In the illustration, the label saying "dummy coil" is just a color key to show you which one of the coils is the dummy coil. That's why the "keyed" coil is shorter than the others; it's not really there, it just to show you which one is the dummy.

14. Hi there,

I tried a new one not so long ago ... it sounded like s**t ... When I went back the guy in the store told me he had sent it back ... I came home with an Ibanez BTB qm 405 ...