1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez atk 815 vs GnL tribute M2500

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stretberas, Jan 2, 2017.

1. stretberas

stretberas

Jul 3, 2012
    Hi all tbers, I have a plan to add a 5 string bass to my equipment, Im so confused between choosing Gnl Tribute M series or Ibanez Atk..May be among all tbers here who can giving a feedback for me, I have a wedding band that plays music from various genres.So between that 2 bass, which one would be suitable for me ... Thanks for help and advice..
    Sorry for my poor english...

2. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I have seen some of the nicest finishes on G&L tribute basses. Best import finishes IMO. Other than that I don't care for the Hardware quality. To me it looks and feels cheap.
    I have had my hands on a few ATK's and They seem like a nice step up from the Tributes.

stretberas likes this.
  3. ChocolateTV

ChocolateTV

Sep 23, 2006
    I've had both. Still have the ATK. Nicer to play. Sounds better. And, most importantly, far more intuitive at getting different sounds.

stretberas likes this.
  4. stretberas

stretberas

Jul 3, 2012
    You're right.., one reason I chose Gnl are the finishing look interesting, but I dont know how the quality of the hardware.??

5. stretberas

stretberas

Jul 3, 2012
    Thanks for yours suggestion...

6. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    Honestly, The tuners seemed cheap but I guess the bridge is pretty decent. I don't think you could go bad wrong with either one. I believe it though, when I hear people say the Ibanez has some great tones available. Ibanez has always put so much quality into their basses within the given price point. But really so has G&L.

I have a friend with several ATK's. In fact, I bought one for him and shipped it to Norway. He really love the ATK's last we spoke and he was very happy to get his hands on one.

I played that one for an hour or two to make sure it was good enough for the trip to Norway.
    It blew me away and I wished I could have kept it.

I played a few Tributes and I was not nearly as impressed.

This may just be a case where you have to play a few and see how they sound and feel in your hands.

I am just one person with limited experience and I respect G&L immensely as an instrument manufacturer.

Then there's the whole Made in xyz country thing. Some have moved to China from Korea or Japan. There a different levels of quality through the years.

Admittedly, I'm country of origin snob. I sort of rank basses by where they were made almost subconsciously.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  7. stretberas

stretberas

Jul 3, 2012

yes...youre right, Some of my friends suggested to directly compare while in store music, unfortunately I have not found Gnl tribute Bass around me, so I can not compare that two bass guitars, I guess at this point I tend to side with the Ibanez atk ...

8. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    Best of luck with the search.